1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Made a telemarketer curse and hang up on me

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EStreetJoe, Sep 24, 2013.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Most times, if I know its a telemarketer, I don't answer the phone.
    However when one calls soon after putting Little E to bed, I quickly pick up the phone and then hang it up. Did that tonight, but the call didn't disconnect and the phone rang the second I hung up the phone.
    I picked up the phone and there was silence for a moment.
    I said "Hola"
    The female telemarketer came on and said "Hola my ass" and the line went silent.
    I said "Good night to you too" and hung up.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I love making telemarketers hang up. Usually I act confused, or ramble off a bunch of nonsense. One of my favorites is to do the Stone Cold Steve Austin "What" chant at them.

"Hello, I would like to offer you a chance to cut your credit card rate."

"What?"

"Cut your interest rate."

"What?"

Confusion.

"Um, hello?"

"Hello."

"We'd like your credit card number."

"What?"

"What's your problem?"

"What?"

Curses and hangups usually follow.

3. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I'm thinking the "Do Not Call" thing doesn't work anymore, eh?

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I don't get as many calls at work as in the past but, when I did, I love stringing the telemarketers along for 7 or 8 minutes - the "Northwest Airlines VISA card" was a memorable chat - and then finally telling them that they've reached a business and there's nothing we can buy.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

These people have awful jobs. They get hung up on all the time. They rarely experience any level of success. Why would you make their lives worse?

6. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

We've been getting one from some guy who sounds like he's from New Delhi telling us he has information on how to activate our Medicare card. After the third one in three days, my wife told the guy she's not giving out any credit card information. CLICK.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

The best ones are the Indians who call to say they're from Microsoft and they've detected a problem with my computer. Of course, it's all about getting you to unwittingly give them access to your computer. So it's always great fun to string them along by acting like you don't know where the power button is and generally being confused. Or throwing them off track by asking them how much money they make, and where can I get a job like that?

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Oh, I get it. It's OK because they're from the third world.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I believe that particular one, if I'm reading it right, is OK because they're con artists.

10. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

I have absolutely no problem making someone's life miserable if they are attempting to get my credit card number and make mine miserable, and in that case I don't discriminate based on race, sex or nationality

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Absolutely. Witting or unwitting, they're participating in a criminal enterprise, as is pretty much anyone trying to get you to give them a credit card number over the phone.

As are the ones I get here attempting to get me to claim I had a loan for which I bought something called payment protection insurance, and indeed claiming that their records show I had one when I quite clearly didn't. That's fraud. And it's illegal.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I'd treat them a little better if they just showed they had done their homework a little.

"We can lower the interest rate on your mortgage."

No you can't. Do your homework first. Click.

Draft saved Draft deleted