1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Maddux, Glavine, Thomas elected to Baseball Hall of Fame; Biggio just misses

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Nov 26, 2013.

?

Who will be elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame this year?

Poll closed May 25, 2014.
  1. Jeff Bagwell

21 vote(s)
    29.2%
  2. Craig Biggio

33 vote(s)
    45.8%
  3. Barry Bonds

29 vote(s)
    40.3%
  4. Roger Clemens

27 vote(s)
    37.5%
  5. Tom Glavine

51 vote(s)
    70.8%
  6. Jeff Kent

8 vote(s)
    11.1%
  7. Greg Maddux

68 vote(s)
    94.4%
  8. Edgar Martinez

9 vote(s)
    12.5%
  9. Don Mattingly

8 vote(s)
    11.1%
  10. Fred McGriff

5 vote(s)
    6.9%
  11. Mark McGwire

7 vote(s)
    9.7%
  12. Jack Morris

17 vote(s)
    23.6%
  13. Mike Mussina

11 vote(s)
    15.3%
  14. Rafael Palmeiro

5 vote(s)
    6.9%
  15. Mike Piazza

20 vote(s)
    27.8%
  16. Tim Raines

26 vote(s)
    36.1%
  17. Curt Schilling

15 vote(s)
    20.8%
  18. Lee Smith

9 vote(s)
    12.5%
  19. Sammy Sosa

5 vote(s)
    6.9%
  20. Frank Thomas

48 vote(s)
    66.7%
  21. Alan Trammell

10 vote(s)
    13.9%
  22. Larry Walker

4 vote(s)
    5.6%
  1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I suspect he didn't want to choose, either. Which is his perogative, of course. Doesn't mean the Hall has to go along with it.

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I totally get asking Maddux which he preferred since the time is almost equal but once he said he wouldn't choose, I'm surprised the Hall didn't go -- OK Braves it is.

The story about Hunter is that he didn't wan't to have an A's cap as to stick it to Charlie Finley

3. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Makes me think of the uniform gaylord perry used to wear to seniors games. Had logos of all the teams he played for.

4. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

They ought to just stop wearing caps/logos.

How many people actually ever see the plaque anyway?

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Worked for him.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yeah, about a dozen guys have no caps on at all. Mel Ott, Joe McGinnity, Sisler, a few others.

And then there's this HOFer ... with Bieber hair:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

One fact that surprised me in looking this up yesterday was that the HOF has been engraving cap logos since the very beginning: All the 1936 Hall of Famers had cap logos, even Christy Mathewson. But the Giants didn't start wearing an "NY" on their caps until 1911, though.

[​IMG]

8. WCIBN

WCIBN Active Member

Just goes to show how smart a guy Greg Maddux is as he didn't want to alienate fans of any of the teams for which he played. Kind of reminds me of the Michael Jordan reaction when he was asked why he wouldn't make an endorsement in the Harvey Gantt/Jesse Helms U.S. Senate races in North Carolina. Jordan's response was "Republicans buy shoes too."

No need for Maddux to limit himself to the adoration of only one teams' fans. Very smart move - financially. While Maddux made more than enough money in his career to last several generations for his family, who knows what the future may bring. Years down the road he might be forced to go the autograph show route to make ends meet. Too bad Carlton Fisk didn't think of this when he was inducted as there are plenty of White Sox fans that hold a grudge (present company included) for his picking the cap with a "B" on it. Likewise, I know several Cubs' fans that still are mad that Bruce Sutter's plaque depicts him in a Cardinals cap.

The HOF should just implement a policy of no team logo on the cap or even a capless plaque UNLESS the player pictured played 75% or more of his career with one specific team. But that policy would make too much sense for the bozos who run the Cooperstown museum to adopt it.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

You know, that actually sounds pretty reasonable to me. The 75% number corresponds nicely with the historical percentage needed to gain induction, and after four decades of free agency, the cap dilemma is almost always going to be a problem from here on out. Might as well just take the decision out of everyone's hands.

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I'm good with this, too. Bonus points for the term "bozos" being applied to someone in the Cooperstown realm that isn't the HOF voters for a change.

Draft saved Draft deleted