1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Maddon leaves Rays

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I blame the A-Rod one on Ken Rosenthal.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Was that the Yankees announcing? I thought that was a Boras play all the way. The new deal didn't come for another couple of weeks.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It was Boras who made announcement.

Didn't Arod also do something in either 1999 World Series when he became
    FA and indicated in some way that he wanted to play for The Mets?

4. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Don't remember that, but I did find this. Not sure if this is what you're talking about though.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/a-rod-regrets-mets-doesn-mistake-yankees-article-1.286061

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

"Tell me why?"

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Cripes, y'all just made me remember that A-Rod is planning to play for the Yankees again next season. Fuck. I'm so done with that guy.

7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

If MLB wanted to go back to Montreal, I'd be curious to see if Bell would fund the team and a new stadium.

Rogers and Bell are the two biggest communications companies in Canada. Rogers has the Blue Jays, and just outbid Bell for the national NHL rights -- a 12-year package. Bell needs something. Some guys I know who work there/have worked there think they would take a serious look at it.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I spoke to a friend who is a diehard Met fan and he reminded me that ARod
    sat in stands for Game 4 of 2000 Subway series. This was the time he was
    embarking on his first free agent journey and had targeted The Mets. it was
    before Steve Phillips blew him out of the water.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I bet Stuart Sternberg would listen.

10. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Interesting thought. Is Dave Van Horne still working for the Marlins? Maybe TSN could lure him back. No Rod Black doing baseball PBP though.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Some interesting thoughts on offense and the state of baseball:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/sunday-notes-maddon-cherington-fixing-the-reds-trusting-buck-more/

I am intrigued by the idea that the surge in pitching has included more good relievers to go around, making the "take pitches and get to middle relief" philosophy less effective.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I hadn't thought of this either. Certainly Bell has to have seen how Rogers uses the Jays across all its platforms. Loads of content there.

I think Tommy Hutton still does TV for the Marlins, they could bring him back too.

Draft saved Draft deleted