1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Maddon leaves Rays

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Oct 24, 2014.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I can't see it working. Nostalgia makes people delusional.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Same here but Toronto and Montreal in the same division would make for a hell of a rivalry.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I would love for it to happen but I can't see it working.

I still fucking hate Rick Monday.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Me too, one of the real dark days for me as a Canuckistani sports fan. Can still see that homer leaving the yard.

The Expos's early interleague visits to Toronto were electric.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Montreal and Quebec didn't want to build the Expos a stadium back then. Why would they want to build one now?

And does Olympic Stadium still have debt to be paid off?

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I believe the Big Owe was finally paid off a few years back. And despite the great nostalgia built up over Les Expos (helped in part by Jonah Keri's tremendous book) I don't think the city of Montreal is any closer to getting a stadium built than it was when the Expos left.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I don't understand why Friedman is so quick to stand by Mattingly here. If you're worried you're going to take a hit, PR-wise, by ditching Donnie, just suck it up and do it, and then hire Maddon. It's not like DM has some long, storied history with the franchise. I'm always baffled when teams don't won't trade 24 hours of bad press for several years of stability. Is there something I'm not seeing here? Why let him go to the Cubs when you'd only be paying off one year of Mattingly's contract?

Also, isn't Maddon fluent in Spanish? Wouldn't that give him a better relationship with Puig (among others) right from the start?

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I thought teams weren't supposed to make big transaction news during the WS?

10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

MLB was only too glad to help kill the Expos. There is little question about this.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Dodgers hired Friedman before the WS started, and I doubt there's anything in the contract that said Maddon needed Bud's permission on when to opt out.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

They supposedly have to clear such announcements with the commissioner's office first. The Braves also announced John Hart as baseball ops director last week.

Of course, the all-timer is the Yankees announcing A-Rod's opt-out & new deal just as the Red Sox were about to close out the 2007 series.

Draft saved Draft deleted