1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Madame Chairman, the GOP casts all its votes....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Yawn, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Why must she laugh at his mighty sword?

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

And you have yet to cite any election history that suggests she won't.

And if you think Giuliani will carry New York in a general, I'll bet you on it. Loser leaves the board permanently.

Chickenfucker.

3. That's not what you said in the PM, loverboy.

4. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Hillary Clinton is not going to finish her term as Senator even though she said she would!

SHOCKING!

In the history of politics, this has never happened before. Republican and Democratic presidential candidates have never said one thing and done another.

Thanks for your reporting Yawn.

In other news, the sky is blue.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Fixed your post.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Yeah, didn't the Shrub leave Texans in the lurch while he was governor seeking higher seats? Never mind that he also left our economy in absolute shambles. At least he's not a liberal.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

While it's sad that our buddy Dye is gone, it's good to know there's another punching-bag readily available.

8. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Seriously, though, nothing is more unintentionally hilarious than radicals -- left or right. Thanks, Yawn, for the laughs and GOD BLESS AMERICA -- because, as I'm sure you'll agree, God is an American.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'd take that bet. I'd want to see who he was running against first, but I think he easily handles NY against any of the candidates the Democrats have in the mix right now.

Democrats outnumber Republicans in New York City something like 6 to 1 and it would be way worse than that if Staten Island didn't exist. So for a Republican to be elected mayor is a pretty big deal. That's a testament to his popularity. I believe the last real Republican before Giuliani was Fiorello LaGuardia. That's a long time. Bloomberg and Lindsay don't count because they were lifelong Democrats / Liberals who used the Republican party to either get more levers, or in Bloomber's case, just to get on the ballot. Giuliani has already proven he can carry NYC and the rest of the state will vote for him by default. Republicans nearly always carry upstate and he wouldn't be a garden-variety Republican, he'd be a popular one; New York's own. If it is Giuliani vs. Clinton in a general election, I'd actually feel bad for not giving you odds on the bet. She can win a Senate seat here against nothing candidates. But she doesn't engender passion from anyone. The strength of their campaigning skills aside--and Giuliani is just naturally good at working a crowd, quicker on his feet than she is--there's way more natural love for Giuliani in the state than there is for her.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

All of which matters not if he can't get through the primary.

Which he can't, unless the GOP completely revises its platform and campaign strategy.

(Besides, Ragu, I really don't want to see you leave the board.)

11. The problem, Ragu, is that this isn't 1999 - or 2001 -- any more. In NYC, Rudy isn't the mayor of America. He's the mayor of Diallo and Dorismond and Abner Louima, of Bernie Kerik and Judy Nathan. And his appeal upstate is practically nil. Why do you think he didn't run against her when he had the chance? Because his thin skin and his ego made him not want to be the guy who woke up on Wednesday after the election as the guy who lost to Hillary Clinton.
    Nationally, well, he has all of the above problems, plus the gay things, plus the Catholic thing, plus the NYC thing.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

LaGuardia was as much a republican as Hillary is. He ran on a fusion ticket when he won in '33 -- standing against everything the Tammany Hall machine was for.

Draft saved Draft deleted