1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mad Men

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hondo, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Makeup did take pains to deglam Mrs. D. in her hour of crisis, this past Sunday . . .

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . and it's crystal-clear that Joan is going to submarine/sabotage
    the new guy with her charming lack of precise instruction. That'll
    be a show, when the explosion comes.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Funny you mention that. After that scene I said to HC, "That guy is screwed".

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Oh, and Episode 9 won't air until Sept 28. They're showing a rerun this Sunday so fans can watch (we hope) the show clean up on the Emmys that evening.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

You'd think I'd feel bad about that, but don't . . . there aren't all that many Season Two episodes left in the bag, so happy to wait a week.
    They gave us plenty to chew on Sunday in terms of plot development, though in terms of overall quality/character development, I'd judge this past Sunday's show to be the weakest in the history of the series.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Even with the evolution of January Jones' character? I mean, she grew a backbone.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Jimmy gave her one . . . even though she went after Don half-cocked, without having chapter-and-verse facts to back up
    her accusation.

Remember "Barrett" from his supervisory/police role in The Black Dahlia. That voice could cut glass.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Considering this season is set in 1962 and began in February, I imagine Marilyn Monroe's death is going to enter into the storyline this season. Entertainment Weekly said it might have a sad symmetry with Joan's storyline. We'll see.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Still waiting for Cooper (Robert Morse) to make some oblique reference/reaction to How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying, which opened in '61 and was running full-blast during this period, winning the '62 Pulitzer Prize.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I was only uncomfortable with how Father Hanks was nearly drilling Peggy trying to get a confession out of her.

In contemporary times, that beatdown of Joan was awful, sadly it was probably the norm for those times (when my mom was a data entry clerk in the office of US Steel with her beehive and pumps).

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The Father Hanks/Peggy subplot is as boring as grass growing.

Feel not for Joan. She's lit the fuse. She'll get hers.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

If tonight's Primetime Emmys = a Mad Men rerun, you may consider Netflix or some other source for the other side of the Mad Men coin . . . the film, Putney Swope.

It peters out towards the end, and the clothing styles are of course dated, but otherwise, it's as fresh as the day it was released -- not to mention hilarious.

Draft saved Draft deleted