1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mad Men

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hondo, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Making no excuses for the SOB.

Just. Say. No.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Wondering if the stables boy who has been leering at Mrs. Draper is going to benefit from this Bobbie Barrett boffing.

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

At the opening of this season, it seemed like Don really had recommitted himself to being the good husband/father, and Bobbie did seduce him. At first it seemed like he was almost going along with it against his will, but his ego wouldn't let him say no.

The picnic scene really was a jarring reminder of how thoughtless people used to be. My mom talks about how I used to just walk around on the front seat of the car when I was a toddler and nobody thought a thing of it. I asked her, "Did nobody ever stop to think about what would happen if you were in an accident?" Nope, it never occurred to them. Just blows my mind.

4. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I can't believe Colin Hanks is that old. When he was on "Roswell," he seemed like he was a teenager.

5. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Whew, methinks Betty has gone off the deep end. All that anger. And Joan getting booted out of that script-reading job. It's really interesting to see how they are portraying women getting into doing serious jobs in the workplace and how it happens.

6. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

During Betty's scenes, I had "I'm Going Slightly Mad" going through my head.

7. Joe Williams

Felt bad for Joan, who had increasingly become the office battle-ax but, now that she was getting a taste of what Peggy had gotten in upgraded job duty, realized she liked it and was capable.

Betty's near cave-in, then turnaround after seeing Jimmy Barrett's stupid commercial -- he had more credibility with her with a puss full of nuts on TV than Don did looking her in the eye -- was a nice twist. Interesting that Don didn't run into the arms of Bobbie Barrett or his old Bohemian girlfriend or the Chinese waitress, the one night he has "permission" not to come home.

Oh, and did Betty smash that dining room chair because she knew Duck would be coming stag and they wouldn't need an eighth? ;D

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Especially with January Jones at home. So far, he's boffed three brunettes on the show who are 5s at best on the scale of 1-10, with Ms. Jones as the 10.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I've got to say, I did not see that coming with Betty. I was sure she was going to continue to suffer silently. I quietly cheered her every step of the way.

Does Peggy's nutso personality meet her work persona next week? They seem to be getting very close.

I just noticed that. January Jones is damn fine, but he wasn't exactly slumming with Rosemarie DeWitt, either. :)

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Joe Williams

Whoops! I thought you meant this gal, Rosemary DeCamp, who played Marlo Thomas' mom on That Girl.

Actually, she was a looker in her time:

[​IMG]

http://www.thatgirltv.com/rosemary.html

11. HC

HC Well-Known Member

JR commented that the first season was sort of lighthearted compared to the second. My feeling is that this drew us into the world and it's sexual politics and now we're really seeing the cost of this.

It kills me to see the women infantilized and, when they react against this, it's just further proof in the eyes of the men that women are unreasonable. Joan was great in the new position but it never even crossed anyone's mind to offer her the job. And I'm happy to see Betty calling Don on his bullshit.

It'd be interesting to cross this with the Feminism thread on the Politics board.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And then both threads will get deleted!

Draft saved Draft deleted