1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mad Men

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hondo, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

This past Sunday's episode was the first one where new viewers who haven't before seen the show may find themselves in really, REALLY deep water.

This thing's really taking a bizarre turn, now. The coming attractions for 9/7 only whet the appetite.

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I lurk at AMC's discussion board about the show. People are upset about the last dog scene. They don't seem to understand that this is fiction.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Duck has issues (as if we didn't know). It's abundantly clear his character will not end well. Can see him throwing himself out of the window of an upper floor, down the line.

Lotta cold, cold, cold people in the picture, man.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Has anyone noticed there are some historical inaccuracies in a couple of scenes in the first two seasons?.

In an episode in Season One, of the secretaries (Pete's I believe) made the comment that "The medium is the message". Well, McLuhan didn't come up with that line (as HC discovered) until 1964.

Also, as someone on the AMC blog pointed out, in last night's episode the opening scene shows Peggy putting on pantyhose which was not available until well after 1965.

Still, this is one great show. Duck will not end well.

5. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Finally caught up on all the episodes On Demand after my vacation and watched tonight's. This show is really getting dark. It's almost hard to believe Don can be that much of a jerk. That new secretary chick is interesting though. Quite the little office politician!

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Great ending tonight. I almost followed suit.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

"You people are dark and scary.
    You mean comedians?"
    That guy playing Jimmy Barrett is doing a hell of a job re-defining "self-loathing."

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Just for clarification, Colin Hanks turns 31 this year. He's a kid like Wade Phillips is Bum's kid.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It gets darker every episode.

I particularly liked the picnic scene. Don tosses his beer can into the bushes and they all just leave without picking up any of their garbage .

It'll be interesting to see how the Cosgrove/Salvatore thing works out.

Poor woman.

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

My wife, who admittedly was born in the mid 1960s, saw Don throw the empty beer can and the Draper family leave a big mess where they had picnicked and said, "My parents used to do the same thing with us." This was before the cartoon owl lectured us all "Give a hoot, don't pollute."

I loved Jimmy Barrett confronting Don right there in front of his wife. Good for that little, generally unlikable weasel, being the real man in that scene. As for Betty's episode-ender, it was perfect. Don couldn't say a bleeping thing to her about it.

What a dope for messing around with Bobbie Barrett.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Don WAS, essentially, seduced.

But make no mistake . . . he's the easiest of lays.

12. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Don has been defined in this series by what he gets on the side, and he was fine with heading out to the beach for a subsequent tryst that got scuttled -- Sopranos-like -- by a highway accident. (Between the dramatic, fatal-to-vehicles-but-not-to-people crashes and the priests who takes a creepy interest in moms angles, the Sopranos/Mad Men overlaps are impossible to miss.)

As for the excuse of "Hey, I was seduced," that wouldn't fly with most spouses, either gender, I know.

Draft saved Draft deleted