1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mad Men

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hondo, Aug 3, 2008.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Pretty good show so far. American Airlines flight goes nose-first into the Long Island Sound, with Peter Campbell's father on board. Duck Williams wants to ditch a regional airline the company represents and go after AA, with the idea that they need a new ad company to get their image back -- with the bodies still floating in the water. Draper aruges against it, because they'd be getting rid of an existing client (American won't deal with them unless they're the only airline at their agency), and well, it's poor taste to take advantage of a tragedy so soon. Drapers ask Roger, "what kind of company are we becoming."

Roger's response: "The kind where everyone has a summer home."

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

To be fair, Hondo is talking about last night's episode, not the opener.
    I liked it.
    It clued in what happened to the baby and something happened to Don to put him back on the straight and narrow.
    He could have left with that Asian waitress and he didn't. He also told his wife that he wasn't going to fight with her.
    So I assume they will clue us in on what happened with him and her.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Mrs. Don knows that Don was screwing around.

And Don knows that Mrs. Don knows.

So he's playing it as close to the vest as he can.

SPOILERS

Fun dynamic with the AA situation, with Pete's star apparently on the ascendent, and Don's potentially on the decline.

My guess as to what will happen? They'll pitch AA hard, with Pete as the pointman on the thrust -- but won't get it.

What MIGHT happen? They'll pitch hard . . . Draper will think of a 24-karat angle to pitch AA . . . Pete will pick it up as his own . . . and they get the account.

THAT should start WWIII.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Active Member

Like how they're making Peggy out to be not entirely sympathetic. From her handling of the child situation to the way she shot down the suitor at the party (even though he was pretty honest with her about his reasons for pursuing her), from her hard-headedness about her mom and church to her annoying habit of seeing every workplace comment as a personal affront.

The guy with the beard and the black girlfriend? Tell me he wouldn't be perfect as the lead in a biopic on Orson Welles.

I don't think Duck is long for Sterling Cooper. Don wins that showdown easy, whenever it comes.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

So much depends on how Pete performs, near-term. Duck sold Pete as the second coming to his AA crony, while Don got stuck giving the horseshit-gilded bad news to the Mohawk honcho.

7. JR

JR Active Member

Duck is leaving himself wide open. He has to hit a home run on this AA thing; otherwrise he's no longer the flavour of the month.

Before Pete arrivedat dinner, Duck was sweating bullets because the guy at AA was more or less telling him that AA wasn't necessarily looking around

I'm thinking AA, after thinking about it for a while, sees through the ploy to try and win the account through sympathy for Pete's father's death. AA won't actually give a shit and let's face it, Pete's not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Problem is (from what I see), Duck will eventually need Don more than he needs Pete.

I like Peggy less and less with every episode.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

If Dean Wormer met Pete, he'd label him correctly, right off the bat.

"A little shit".

Not in love with Peggy, either, but she's being characterized as the trailblazer, with all that entails. Her sheer matter-of-fact-ness will assuredly ruffle many feathers.

9. JR

JR Active Member

PS: I know a million guys like Duck. They're those sales guys who believe their own bullshit.

10. JR

JR Active Member

Yup, one of those slimeballs who plays the office politics instead of actually working.

I liked the comment his wife made at the beginning as they made their way to the party, referring to "All those people who work for you" and Pete said, "Well, not all of them would see it that way".

Cracked me up.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Historical footnote:

After winning the AA account, DDB maintained it for more than twenty years,
    finally losing it in '83, a year after Bill Bernbach died.

12. JR

JR Active Member

Is Sterling Cooper modeled after DDB?

Draft saved Draft deleted