1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mad Men

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Jul 25, 2007.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

No fans? I watched the pilot last week and found the show (on AMC) fascinating for the time period piece (1960) and the characters who I thought had interesting qualities.

(Wife hated the portrayals of the female species, but then again that was how it was then.)

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I thought it was very, very well done. I set a Season Pass for it on my TiVo.

3. pa writer

pa writer Member

Enjoyed the pilot very much. I will be watching tomorrow night.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Very, very promising start. And I LOVED Rosemarie DeWitt on "Standoff" before this.

[​IMG]

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I finally watched the first episode on TIVO, and I thought it was very, very good.

Don Draper could be a very interesting character. When he chastises people when they screw up, he just seems so darn cool.

I need to rewatch the episode because there was so much going on that I'm sure I missed half of it.

Loved all the drinking and smoking going on during the work day.

"You think people will buy clothes in your store just because they are expensive?"

"Until they make a magical machine that copies pages, stay out of my trash can."

6. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Watched the first two episodes, and I am hooked. It is a wee bit odd, and takes some concentration to follow, but it is a thinking-person's story. The TiVo hits it every week.

rb

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

It's just so unique, being a period piece done in a later period. There are now things that fly in TV/film-making that didn't in 1960. So when you see a movie from 1960, you see this kind of world, but in a skewed way because of the limitations of film at that time. Seeing it here, it's something you really HAVEN'T seen before.

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

My mom worked as a secretary at a Manhattan ad agency before I was born, but the co-owners were Christian Scientists who didn't accept alcohol and tobacco accounts and certainly wouldn't tolerate the behavior we're seeing on this show.

I enjoy the show and have no doubt it was like this at some agencies, just not all of them.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Finale was on Thursday and yet another great episode. but I find it very hard to believe Peggy didn't realize she was pregnant until she had the kid. I know her character didn't know, but it didn't jibe with the rest of her storyline.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Which agency was that, if I may ask?

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Needham & Grohmann

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Thank you. That is one name I had yet to hear. Biggest accounts, at the time?

Draft saved Draft deleted