1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mad Men Second Season Starts tonight on AMC

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Jul 27, 2008.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I thought there may have been a thread on this already but couldn't find it.

I didn't see the show until they started reruns on CTV up here a few weeks ago. Got hooked and immediately went out and bought the DVD. Since HC's away, had a marathon.

Matt Weiner has nailed this era perfectly, warts and all

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/Television/article/467597

Anybody else here a fan?

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

great show. many fans here. i'll be at springsteen tonight but will catch a replay. 8) 8) 8)

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Have heard lots abut it. Will be watching tonight.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I haven't seen it yet, but will be buying the 1st season soon and Tivo-ing this one to watch later. Weiner's fingerprints are all over most of the best Sopranos episodes.

5. absolutely psyched for this. my favorite show on TV anymore. and it doesn't get any hotter than Polly Draper

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I'd like to see another season of Breaking Bad.

7. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I'd like to do that, too.

But can you guys answer some questions for me?

1. Is it soapy?
    2. Is it depressing?
    3. Does it have any humor about it?

(For example Grey's can be soapy and depressing but also has a sense of humor about itself....)

4. Anybody know if I can buy season 1 off iTunes?

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I don't think it's soapy.

There are depressing parts--particularly the blatant sexism, racism and anti-semitism. Did I mention homophobia?

There are some funny bits.

Don't know about iTunes.

9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

**Sigh** - thanks, JR. It sounds like a great show, but maybe I'll pass.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

"Mad Men" returns tonight

10 p.m. on AMC.

Absolutely outstanding show.

11. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

Re: "Mad Men" returns tonight

Second that. Can't wait.

Also, Christina Hendricks is one of the three most beautiful women I've ever seen.

12. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

What's interesting is that the characters don't see themselves as oppressors. They are as casual and unthinking about it as they are about chain smoking and pouring themselves a glass of Scotch in their offices. It's a sense of entitlement -- as the main character put it, the world is one big brassiere strap waiting to be snapped. The characters are as complex as you'll find on TV. I don't think you could say any of them are deliberate villains. The worst of them, Pete, is just a selfish little shit. But all of them could easily be envisioned pulling a George Costanza -- Was that wrong of me? Because if I had known it was wrong ... -- they never gave it a first thought, let alone a second.

I love the clothes. It was either GQ or Esquire that said last year that American men never dressed better than they did during that era. I don't think the hairstyles flattered either gender, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted