1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mad Men season 7 thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Steak Snabler, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

According to Wiki, they were invented in the mid-1950s, but didn't become widely used until the early-to-mid 1970s. But given Don's line of work and tax bracket, it stands to reason he'd be an early adopter.

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I think Don and Sally are the most important relationship in this show. Luckily they have a child actor that really grew into the part, something NOT guaranteed when you're casting very young characters. The look on Don's face when Sally says "I love you" killed me.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Here's another vote for the great scenes with Don and Sally; after she said "I love you" I thought Don must be thinking "so that's why we have kids." Her calling him out for his lying was poignant.

Stan's got the greatest lines "wow, [Peggy] I didn't know your cat had that much money [to buy you flowers]." The dismantling of Peggy's life is not what I was expecting and not pretty.

How that guy Avery even got his job at SCP is befuddling.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I imagine they hired him because they figured his personal life wouldn't be an issue the way Don and Ted's were.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Peggy's life has been a mess ever since Ted and Don merged their firms together. She's mean to her secretary even though she should remember how she was treated when she was in the same role, and her underlings don't even respect her now.

6. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Agree completely. That was excellent. Sally just might save Don from himself.

7. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I'm going to miss Stan Rizzo so very much when this show ends.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Hamm and Shipka just have such great chemistry. Their scenes together are the best part of the show. (Non-Roger Sterling division, of course.)

9. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

— The one great shame is that Shipka wasn't a few years older when the show began. I think a Sally who reached late teens by the late 1960s would've even underlined the difference in future opportunities for Sally compared to Peggy and Joan. We'll only get a hint at that by the end of this run, I'm guessing. Although splitting up this final season does give another year where if Weiner wants to flash forward with Sally in the final scenes, she'll probably be able to pull it off.

— I love this season and I love that the cultural cache of the show has waned a bit. The fanbase again feels like it did early in the run — people who like the show, love novelistic storytelling and don't need wild twists of plot to enjoy the universe these characters are in. The way this season has started, I would've welcomed even more episodes — two full 13 episode runs that fleshed out 1969 completely and maybe even leaked over into 1970.

— I love that Bob Benson was everywhere last season. Now he's nowhere and mentioned in passing.

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

It's also worth pointing out how lucky Weiner got when he chose her to play Sally. The development of child actors is such a crapshoot. Look at the Sopranos, when they were limited in what they could do with A.J. because Robert Iler turned out to be a shitty actor.

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I really think that the best character on the show has been Pete. His struggle for identity is every bit as compelling as that of Peggy or Don.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

1969 in NY was the golden age. Knicks, Mets and Jets. Already a Knicks and Bradley reference

Draft saved Draft deleted