1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mad Men season 7 thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Steak Snabler, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Interesting start to the season, only jumping ahead a few months to January 1969 (which we know because of the Nixon inauguration).

Don continues to be hopelessly out of touch. In what world is a guy wearing a sweater tied around his neck a hippie?

Sad turn of events for Peggy. Living in a dump apartment and trapped in a job she doesn't want.

And they continue to play up the Sharon Tate parallels with Megan, right down to the house in the hills and husband who wasn't around. Her agent even looked a little bit like a young Roman Polanski.

Also welcome back, Neve Campbell!

2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Best part of the show was hearing that awesome song I'm a Man by the Spencer Davis Group.

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Whoa... that was Neve Campbell. (I didn't place her until I saw this). Surprised that Don didn't bang her at some midtown apartment at flight's end.

I joked with a colleague earlier today that Megan's life would end in a puzzling car crash on Mulholland the night before she was supposed to go to the infamous Sharon Tate party... and then I saw all of the parallels tonight.

Will Don even tell Megan that he's been sacked? She was in full bitch mode. Probably screwing that weasel agent.

A fairly unsatisfying season premiere compared with some of the recent season openers. Kept waiting for a payoff but it didn't hit. Simply despair with so many -- a sense of malaise from everyone except for Campbell. That little shit is livin' the life with a blonde baby doll. Now the show is spread out with two continents and still a larger cast than the hour can handle.

In recent seasons, there has been a trend of good episode followed by a bad one. I assume this season will be just as choppy until we hit that final stretch to wrap it all up.

4. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Don wasn't sacked, he's on a paid suspension.
    And it was pretty clear that Megan wasn't the agent's "type".

5. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

No mention of (my biggest TV crush ever) Roger's living arrangements?

6. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

The thing that bothered me about trying to cram so much into the first hour is that this (half) season is only seven episodes. So six remain. Weiner almost had to waste an episode by making sure the viewers are caught up with everyone (except Betty and Sally).

If it were 13 episodes this wouldn't bother me so much. Then again, if it were 13 episodes, they probably wouldn't have stuffed 10 pounds of plot into this 5-pound bag.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

That was way more of John Slattery than I ever wanted to see.

Never got around to IMDBing the ep so I could figure out who the woman on the plane was. In any case, it's a sad state of affairs when a woman throws herself at Don and he says he has to go to work. Complete opposite from where the series started, when he'd take a two-hour (or three, or four) lunch break for a shag. Had it not been the first ep of the season, I would have expected him to jump off his balcony at the end.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I wish Megan would get her teeth fixed. Would love to see her
    try and eat corn on the cob.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I thought it was Neve while watching last night and I did imdb it. She does not have Mad Men to her imdb credits. THats her though, right?

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

It's definitely her:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/14/arts/television/neve-campbell-appears-in-mad-men-season-premiere.html?_r=0

Weiner is so spoiler-phobic that he forbid show personnel from disclosing Campbell was on the show this year (and sent a letter to that effect to reviewers with the advance screener), just like with Linda Cardellini last year.

11. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

No matter the quality of the show this season, being 1969 means the music is going to be incredible.

12. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Also, Elizabeth Olsen in that hat only deepened my crush on her. Crazy Scientologist or not.

- Everything has gone horribly for Ken since he mixed family with business. His character seems to be the truest to real life. Dreams, success but finally worn down by his job to the point that he's become everything he used to reject. He may the most tragic character onthe show, in a traditional sense.

-Good for Pete Campbell. We argued for a long time about whether he was redeemable. While he could still turn back into a monster by series end, he's only 5/8 the asshole he used to be in New York. Smarmy but no longer evil.

- I was hoping Megan was gone. She's superfluous at this point.

Draft saved Draft deleted