1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mad Men Season 4

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by heyabbott, Jul 6, 2010.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Season Premiere July 25.

Last night season 1 marathon
    Mon July 12 season 2 marathon starts at 8pm
    Mon July 19 season 3 marathon starts at 8 pm

I watched a few epsiodes last night.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I can't wait, obviously.

I caught some 1959 Vincent Price movie the other night and couldn't help but mentally drink in the scenery and props to check them against "Mad Men"'s version of the time period.

3. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I can't wait. I just finished rewatching season 2 yesterday. I need me some Don Draper.

4. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I'm excited for the new episodes, but as a recent MM convert, need to get through all of season 3 first.

Seasons 1-3 are now on sale at iTunes for $9.99, by the way.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Are they On Demand?

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

My FIOS has Season 1 on demand earlier in the summer and has Season 2 now. We're halfway through Season 3 now and hope to be caught up well in advance of the new run. If it isn't as good as The Sopranos, it's pretty darn close.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I hope season 4 has a lot of Betty Draper.

8. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Man, I'm going to be on vacation July 25. Better be no power failures at home so that sucker gets DVR'd.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I'd say MM has crept past The Sopranos on my list of all-time favs. Still behind the Wire but its so good, I think Weiner has overtaken Chase as a showrunner/writer.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

MM hits too close to home for me not to love it. Neither The Sopranos
    nor Mad Men are perfect. The last portion of Season Three's final episode
    of MM was just too pat for words; yeah, I wanted SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

to see all those characters salvaged, too, but some of that late business
    was more coincidental than some eyeroller by O. Henry.

Sopranos still has that junky first half of the final season to answer for.
    What space-filling tripe, and it isn't any better on second viewing.
    Yeah, I'm picking nits -- the series was dynamite -- but the people involved
    were and are better than that. But time pressure wounds too many
    creative projects, and will, again.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Got into Mad Men late, but got caught up during the spring. It's hard to find a show where nearly every main character is completely unlikeable on some level, but this might be it.

I really hate Don, but I hate Betty more. At least Don seems to love his children.

I find myself rooting for the ancillary characters, like Ken, Sal, Paul, Joan and even Pete.

As for The Sopranos, I've read that the reason for several of the rather useless storylines late in the series (including Vito's New Hampshire excursion) was that everyone's salary demands got so high that they couldn't afford to use all the characters as much as they wanted to.

12. patchs

patchs Active Member

I'm eagerly awaiting Season 4.
    I have all 3 seasons on Blu-Ray and plan on watching the last couple of season 3 to refresh me on the plot.
    Since I dropped HBO and lost Entourage, this is really the only show I watch.

Draft saved Draft deleted