1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mad Men returns. Thumbs up or down?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by brettwatson, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

So Ken Cosgrove was fine being the hungry young exec on the way up but he's protecting turf or something when he sees it in a new guy.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Weiner is doing a fine job making Don look so off in his surroundings; from the stiff vacation clothes to his "Eisenhower" wear; its almost painful. Whereas Megan is right there on the cutting edge (as is Sally.)

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I didn't even recognize Linda Cardellini until I read this thread ... had to go back and watch the end again. Either they did a hell of a job with makeup or she's aged horribly.

I didn't get to watch until yesterday because by the time I got done with Game of Thrones, Shameless and House of Lies, I didn't have the energy for two hours of Mad Men. Didn't hate it as much as everyone on Twitter did, didn't love it as much as Sepinwall and crew did. Enjoyable enough, though. This show's a lot like Treme for me. I just love catching up with the characters so much that I can handle some tediousness.

Oh, and Megan's sideboob. :)

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

There are plenty of places on the Internet to see Megan's frontboob.

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

OK, so some of these shots on basic cable shows like Mad Men and The Americans, they are just digitally erasing the nipples in editing, right? There are some shots on the shows where you are seeing enough tit there is no way the nipple wouldn't be at least partially visible.

At some point do networks like FX and AMC just the full HBO route in terms of what they allow? They already say just about every word short of fuck and pussycat and come within millimeters of full nudity.

6. Steak Snabler

I assume it has something to do with their networks being advertiser-supported, but I could be wrong.

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I had the same thing, except Monday was the NCAA championship instead of other shows. And my thoughts...it was decent, but two hours of Mad Men is a slog.

8. Jake_Taylor

Sure, but it's obviously not the Christian Coalition and Liberty University buying up ad time for Mad Men. If the advertisers are OK with them toeing the line like that, at what point are they OK with them just going all the way with it.

I don't really care, I don't watch Mad Men for the nudity, but I find the tricks to get around it sort of distracting.

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Do you watch Girls? I find Marnie's sexual gymnastics to avoid showing a nipple pretty damn distracting. (And frustrating.)

10. Jake_Taylor

I watched the first season, didn't watch this one. The fact Allison Williams is on that show and she's not the one to get naked all the time is, yeah, frustrating.

11. Steak Snabler

I wonder how much of that is in deference to her father's career, because it certainly seems counter to the sensibilities of the show.

12. Humungus

Humungus Member

The multiple Bobbies aren't the craziest casting decisions. Why did they ditch Stan for Zach Galifinakis?

Draft saved Draft deleted