1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mad Men '15

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Dr. Fay(e). And yes, Megan was his rebound.

2. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I think of Don simply bounding from one relationship to the next, no "re" involved.

Kiernan Shipka was outstanding in last night's episode.

Bronco77 and doctorquant like this.
  3. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Faye.

Don was actually still dating Faye when he proposed to Megan ... this came after their Cali trip with the kids to close Anna Draper's estate. When Bobby spilled the milkshake in the diner, Don saw calm, maternal instincts out of Megan (at least at that moment) that made him look at Megan more than just a convenient fling. He called Faye to break it off and tell her he was engaged, and she responded with "you only like the beginning of things."

Compare that to Faye, who didn't know what to say to Sally when Don asked her to talk to her ... "Hi, I'm Faye. ... I know. He just said that."

Deep down, Don has always wanted his wife to only identify with that role. He's always needed to be the center of attention for a woman and be at his beckon call (how many times did he pull Megan away from the creative team to do whatever he wanted?). When Megan fully pursued acting and started to get roles, the marriage hit the rocks and he started the affair with Sylvia (who uttered the line, "I need you, and nothing else will do.").

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Agree about Shipka ... she's terrific. I hate the whole Betty/Glen thing. If either of them could act worth a damn it might mean something. As it is, it doesn't read at all.

Bronco77 likes this.
  5. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Speaking of Betty and Glen ...

Was That The Weirdest 'Mad Men' Scene Yet?

Dyno and HC like this.
  6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I was delighted to see Glen get the No. 2 spot in Lisanti's weekly rankings.

Glen Bishop is The Man. Glen Bishop dreams big.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Glen Bishop is going to get fragged in Nam.

8. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I wish I could find the article I read in the early years of MM where Matthew Weiner didn't understand why people thought Glen was weird.

On a side note, when you name your kid "Marten Holden Weiner" (couldn't he have gone with Marten Caulfield Weiner??), there's something off about you.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I couldn't find it on a Grantland search, but I think Weiner mentioned that weirdness thing in a podcast there.

10. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

[​IMG]
    "My friends hit on my mom, then they hit on me dad. Me? I'm going get high at Playland."

11. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

I would have nominated Joan's ex-husband for the same fate when he went over there.

Agree with several of you about Kiernan Shipka's sterling performance. She managed to put down both Betty and Don. In fact, I'm hard-pressed to think of anyone in this episode who dealt with Don and DIDN'T put him down.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

She almost had me when she joked she was pregnant. That's how convincing an actress she is.

Draft saved Draft deleted