1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mad Men '15

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Among certain sub-sects of the middle to upper-middle class? Maybe a bit. But part of the reason we believe that is because of the massive media obsession with the show. We're talking about — in terms of numbers — very small circles of people. Are they the right kind of people? They're the kind of people who read New York Magazine, The New Yorker, The New York Times, The AV Club, Buzzfeed, HitFix, etc.

I live in a large city. Mad Men has had absolutely no impact on how a 95 percent of the people talk, act or dress. But those five percent for whom it did resonate with (and I'm in that group) yes, it did matter, be we also had ways to share that voice and make the influence seem more profound.

I'm more open to the argument about drinking than I am dress. The bourbon boom is very real, and while I'm not sure MM gets the credit, its obsession with spirits certainly didn't hurt.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

What's funny is that Don actually drinks pretty shitty whiskey - Canadian Club.

Are you the one who pointed out that a lot of the "whiskey boom" is accounted for by Firestarter or whatever the hell it's called?

3. Double Down

Fireball. Whiskey for cowards.

That's my theory, anyway. That I'd like to see the bourbon/whiskey numbers with Fireball removed, but even if you did, I think the high end good stuff is still selling a much, much better rate than it was decades ago. The enormous demand of small batch stuff like Pappy and Black Maple Hill is evidence of that. When they had to put the shit in barrels years and years ago, no one knew it would be liquid gold by the time it was read. So they didn't make a ton of it. Now people are paying $1,000 a bottle for bourbon that was supposed to sell for $40 to $50. If bourbon was like other products, where you could just fast-track the process, they'd do it. But the time is what makes it, unless you're into this sciencey thing from Japan where they age bourbon through chemistry.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I thought it was all because of Wright Thompson. [/bluefont]

5. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

6. Dick Whitman

I don't understand how they get that Don wrote the ad from the quote that's in that interview, where Weiner says simply that he can "live with ambiguities."

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Back in the day it was Johnny Red, Dewars, J&B and Canadian Club. Maybe Chivas

8. Dick Whitman

Right. I'm sure his options were somewhat limited.

9. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

10. Double Down

I laughed pretty hard at that.

Draft saved Draft deleted