1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mad Max: Fury Road

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, May 27, 2015.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

So. Best action movie made in a decade? Many, many are saying so.

Saw it this evening. Really enjoyed it. Heart was racing almost the entire film.

Surprised no thread existed.

Who else has seen it?

Discuss.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Typically, I'd have little interest in this movie. But like you said, so many people are just raving about it. It's got me intrigued. Might see it Friday.

I'm assuming this should be an IMAX viewing, right?

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I've heard great things, too. I had no interest at all. Still might wait for Redbox. I think the lack of a thread was due to somewhat low expectations. That, and how many movies really do get their own thread?

4. JackReacher

98% from critics and 91% from the audience. That's incredible.

5. TowelWaver

TowelWaver Well-Known Member

I have seen it, it lives up to the hype IMO. If you've ever seen any of the Mad Max movies before this, it's basically George Miller getting the budget to do the completely balls-to-the-wall insane post-apocalyptic chase movie he's always had in his head. Having said that, the plot (although simplistic) is a lot more coherent and the characters a lot more understandable than many other recent summer tentpole movies I've seen the past several years. I really enjoyed it.

6. Double Down

I have to say, I really enjoyed that there isn't a lot of exposition. People don't spend 10-20 minutes explaining shit because they live in this crazy world. It's their normal. So there is a lot of cool mystery to why certain characters are certain ways. I've never seen the other Mad Max films — I'm just sort of loosely-aware of their plot — so the first few mins I thought "This is confusing; I don't understand who these bad guys are." But then I realized that's just how it was supposed to be. And I bought in fully.

The best part, honestly, is that Miller says fuck CGI and basically makes a movie that looks real, despite all the stunts. I'm so sick of video game bullshit. This movie looks like it could have been made in the 1970s, except with $150 million to do it. You should see it on the big screen if you can. It's worth the experience. I don't know that it would feel as powerful on TV. And it's rare I'd say that for a movie.

SPOILERS:

The fact that the Charlize Theron is essentially the co-lead, and that this is a film where women kick serious ass on their own in an effort to free themselvew, is awesome. I see that it's driving certain angry bros insane, which is even better. Who knew this is a film that would pass the Bechdel Test with ease?

7. JackReacher

Apparently, it's only available in my hood in standard or 3D. I'm surprised it's not in IMAX. Shouldn't all movies be in IMAX?

Did you see standard or 3D, Double Down? Is the 3D even worth it for this? The answer is usually no.

8. Double Down

It was available in 3D, but I passed. Saw it in standard. It's intense enough. Plus I think 3D is often just about giving me a headache. #oldman

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Enjoyed it. Saw it in 3D as that was the showing at the time I dropped off my car for maintenance. Don't think there was anything special about the 3D, just the normal things flying out of the screen.

Just non-stop action, and awesome action at that. It's primarily a two-hour-long car chase, but it never seems repetitive. Max is the least compelling character in his own movie.

10. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I'm the same way. I can deal with the Ultrascreen and I can deal with IMAX, but 3D for more than 20 minutes makes my head feel like it's going to explode.

Locally, Mad Max was only in IMAX opening weekend. Since it didn't do great at the box office, it went back to Avengers the following week.

I haven't seen it yet, but I will.

11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

The CGI is why I haven't seen any of the comic book movies -- well, that and the fact I was never a comic book reader. I'd rather watch The Godfather for the 20th time than watch a movie generated on a computer.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The Raid 2 is the greatest action movie I have ever seen. I'm guessing this one is right there with it.

I cannot wait to see this movie.

Draft saved Draft deleted