1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MacGregor Swings - See Ya

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Really great commentary from Jeff MacGregor on demise of Rory Mcilroy at the Masters.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?id=6329147

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Good column. Really like the end. Interesting to read a commentary on failure given the ongoing debate over winning and recognition.

3. Boom_70

Yes found this part specially prescient:

"Failure is the default setting of everything we know. Of everything human. Sports. Politics. Science. Art. To win is the rarity. To exceed, to transcend, to excel, to make something beautiful or lasting is a singularity. This is how and why we make legends and heroes.

To create order or peace or empathy or warmth or comfort or joy is nearly impossible. Day in, day out we try to do these things, and we fail. In almost every case, we simply remain as we were. As we are. Human. Flawed. Earthbound. "

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Using the word "earthbound," I'm guessing Jones passed along some of his Pink Floyd CDs.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

No reference to Time? Money? Brain Damage? Comfortably Numb?

Have A Cigar ...

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

While I love my cigars, in my house this is what I get "well you made your choice, there'll be no funny business tonight."

7. Boom_70

Sounds like he or she as it may be does not like your cigar.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm sure Rick Reilly will be along shortly to make fun of the winner's name.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Like he said, we can't know if McIlroy will be all right. I hate how golf commentators are so quick to say that the young kid will be back, he'll have many more opportunities, etc. Granted, McIlroy IS a very fine player and almost certainly will be in these spots again, but just once I'd like to hear a commentator suggest that, at age 21, this guy now has something to haunt him for 60 years and who really knows if he'll ever recover.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

As I was watching the meltdown, I was wavering between, "Well, he's young enough to deal with this; he's got time to put it behind him." and "Well, he may be too young to have what it takes mentally to ever recover from this."

11. Boom_70

or Mel Brooks

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

McIlroy might come back from this, he might not. But it's his second time. He had three rounds in the 60s at St. Andrews last year, and one 80. That was partly weather-related, but it is evidence he's walking a tightrope between outstanding and awful with every swing out there.

Draft saved Draft deleted