1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MacGregor on Birdman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, May 24, 2014.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

AP Photo

[​IMG]

Call me Freebird.

Jeff's the riddlingest riddler in all of sports riddlerville. He inks and paints and colors and describes and describes and colors and paints and inks and WHEW! Back and forth, up and down, northwest to southeast, southwest to northeast, and 360 degrees is a circle, square, rectangle, too.

Chris "Birdman" Andersen is the subject and the stage is the Miami Heat Family Festival.

And this piece -- a literary tattoo artist's deeply layered tattoo representing one man's parchment of life -- tests your patience because it's so descriptive, and fragmented, and proper. Jeff provides background and context into the heart, mind and soul of Chris Andersen, whose per-36 numbers prove he's one of the most valuable players in the NBA.

Troubled? Flawed? Free as a bird? All of the above?

Interesting that this piece and KVV's piece on Muema ran days apart.

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2014/story/_/id/10960892/miami-heat-chris-andersen-illustrated-man

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I thought the last line was cheesy. Even if it's true (Birdman has an entire calf that's not inked??), it wrapped up the story far too neatly for me.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Oh, I was hoping he wrote about Harvey Birdman, attorney-at-law. Great show.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I was hoping to read something about sports, for a change.
    I see that was a fool's errand once again.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

He is exhibit A of why NBA uniforms should have long sleeves.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Dude looks like a Peter Max poster.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Latest example in a line dating back to Rodman (going through Artest in between) in which analysts attempt to prove that crazy screw-loose players are hugely underrated and are in fact amazingly effective.

It's usually bullshit. The space cases are usually effective because they're on the same roster as demi-gods such as Jordan or LeBron who can make up for the fruitcake's deficiencies.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I liked the column, but holy fuck was that OP overwrought.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Thought it was a fantastic column. Wish MacGregor would write more. Always comes
    from a different angle.

And Starman -the original screwball line starts with Phil Jackson

10. 3_Octave_Fart

Versatile:
    He can't help but overwrite. Purple in his blood.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

But why, 3OF? It's one thing to say what you said. Show us 2-3 example of Jeff's purple.

12. 3_Octave_Fart

He lost me. I don't read his stuff anymore.
    He overwrites. It isn't necessarily a denigration to say so.
    It's a sports column, man. Not the Journal of Psychiatry.

Draft saved Draft deleted