1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Macaca" Turns Out To Have Been An Improvement

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Sep 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Local chapter=high-ranking official. In the 1940's, mind you. As opposed to someone still dealing in casual slurs to this day.
    Since the context of the discussion is political careers, I can safely say that, except as a Republican in certain areas of the country, nobody who used the N-bomb in the 1970's had one. For all his mischief, George Wallace never got elected to anything outside of Alabama, and the worst thing he ever said in public was "Nigra." Are the penalties more severe today? Probably, but that's a good thing.
    We need much smarter trolls.

2. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

(many of the preceding messages paid for by the committee to elect hillary clinton president)

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Which party wins prez in '08 remains largely dependent upon to what degree 43 bumbles, fumbles,
    and stumbles through the next 2 1/4 years. Hil declined the issue in '04 for precisely
    this reason, figuring she knew the answer. It'll be a question of degree. We'll see.

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Regarding Hustle's post above...

Between this and the alleged deer head incident, which even got a mention in the conservative WSJ this morning, I have no idea why Webb needs to run attack ads. Not smart. If you're Webb, why not do an "above this mess" strategy?

The last thing you want is people feeling sorry for Allen.

5. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

I'm just hoping that a Webb victory sets the stage for Ollie North to jump back into the fray down the line. That would be the rematch of the epic Annapolis tilt.*

* Timberg, Robert, The Nightingale's Song, Free Press, 1996.

YHS, etc

6. cortez

cortez Member

Frank Rich on Sunday's George Stephanopolous (sp?) Show: "I guess we should wish George Allen a Happy New year.''

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The Macaca thing bothered me a lot more than what he did in college...

As bothersome as the whole college thing is, you could chalk that up to being a dumb kid. I'm quite sure there are a lot of us who wouldn't want things we did in college thrown back in our faces decades later...

The Macaca thing shows the guy is just a moron... I'm not saying he's the only person in the Senate who is racist, but if you're running for President and you say something that stupid at a public event, you deserve whatever you get...

8. JackS

JackS Member

I get a big laugh whenever people say they'll leave the country if X candidate is elected. How many people have actually done it?

And I'll take your statement as tacit approval of the current president, since you haven't left for him.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The Macaca thing is a classic illustration of a border-state guy playing the good ol' boy
    casual, race-baiting card to appear one of the gang. It plays great, down there --
    so long as you're white. Glad it blew up in his simple, patronizing face.

10. I don't recall asking for where the only black family in a town was so I could stuff a bleeding deer's head into their mailbox.
    The stupid bastard's from CALIFORNIA. He doesn't get the "It's really about the nobility we showed at Gettysburg" alibi to explain a lifelong sweet-tooth for the white-supremacist traitors of the CSA. He's a racist fool who has never changed. Not even running for the Senate.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Oh I agree with you... I'm just saying that recent actions bother me a lot more than something that happened 30 years ago, even if it was a pretty damn clear sign of what was coming...

12. What about if it's just a straight line through the guy's whole life?
    If only for context, I'm glad to know about the college stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.