1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Macaca" Turns Out To Have Been An Improvement

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Sep 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Everyone knew him as Nancy.

2. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

I wish he could've gone to one of his dad's practices and gone out for a deep ball over the middle, with Sonny Jurgensen overthrowing it just a tad and Pat Fischer closing in...

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Anyone who's being honest with themselves -- and that includes zero lefties -- would know that that word wasn't nearly as much of a lightning rod in the early 1970s as it is today.

That doesn't make it right and in no way am I defending anyone who used the word, but I'll bet all you teenagers here that your grandparents let that word pass their lips a few times back 35 years ago. So should we all denounce your grandparents, too?

Sad to say, but the story sounds more like a hatchet piece than anything. Anyone out there tracking down Webb's acqaintances to see what awful things he might have done as an 18-year-old.

Two "anonymous" guys and someone with an obvious ax to grind. And in "Salon," no less.

"The radiologist said he decided earlier this year that he would go public with his concerns about Allen if a reporter ever called. About four months ago, when he heard that Allen was a possible candidate for president in 2008, Shelton began to write down some of the negative memories of his former teammate. He provided Salon excerpts of those notes last week."

Yeah, and some reporter just happened to decide to look up an anonymous University of Virginia tight end from the early 1970s. Anyone with a brain -- sadly that will not include an awful lot of lefties -- knows this is a hit piece.

And yet the left sure loves Robert Byrd -- you know, the dem who actually used to have a real high rank in the Klan.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

All of which is a fancy way of saying, "I don't care if he's a bigot as long as he's a Republican."

You're predictable, tony, and that's all I can say for you. Oh, and the line about grandparents is probably the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. How about just the grandparents who are running for office?

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

old_t,

Gotta give you props for a certain stubborn consistency.

You know, as a matter of fact, my grandparents used that word. And my parents (who are a little older than Allen) didn't like it and pointed out to us that it was wrong.

And these were people who lived in the country and rarely even saw a minority. Not someone whose father was an NFL coach and who would interact with blacks almost daily.

So you nice little homily sounds good but doesn't really work if you think a bit.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Everyone on the right always says the left embraces Robert Byrd, but I don't know anyone outside of West Virginia who actually does. That's a myth that should be re-classified as bunk now.

And of course it's a hit piece. But the whole campaign is going to be like that. It has been like that and will continue to be like that. Webb took some heat for articles he wrote back in college at the Naval Academy too. Seems a little tit-for-tat now. Both sides are slinging mud. Who knows how true it is, but on the heels of Macaca, it's somewhat believeable, and definitely has traction.

7. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

So Barack Obama doesn't qualify as the left?

8. old_tony

Like you, I had a grandfather who used that word and parents who stressed how it was wrong.

And let me get this straight: So it was more OK for your grandparents to use that word?

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Does he speak for even a majority, much less either the whole left or even a small plurality?

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

No. It was wrong for them and it doesn't excuse George Allen.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

O_T, all I'm going to say is two can play this game.

Hakuna Makaka to you. (P.S. The Swift Boat sails at 7 o'clock sharp.)

12. old_tony

Acknowledged. Have a good day, Ace.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.