1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mac vs PC (or which computer should I get with tax refund?)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Brooklyn Bridge, Jan 23, 2009.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

[​IMG]

He can't right now. They're being ... entertained.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

If you're not too knowledgeable about how your PC works, that's a big reason why it's slowing down. Mac might be for you because it's a bit more simple - less things can go wrong with them so long as you're not tinkering.

You can actually make a PC better by tinkering, but that requires either knowledge or a whole lot of experimentation and patience.

That said, if I had the coin my next computer would be a Mac anyway. They're purty.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

They are purty. However, they are not waterproof.

4. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

As has been stated here...

If you're just browsing the web and checking email, go PC.

If you're doing anything graphics related, want reliability, go Mac.

5. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I use a PC for work, but more and more people I know are going to macs, whether the Imac or the laptop version. Converts say they will never go back. The local Apple store offers classes for a year for $99--go as many times as you like. So I'm hoping to pick up a skill or two that might be useful in a part-time business.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Good lord, I love that song.

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I've been a PC guy for years, and I work on a slow-assed Mac at work, but I'm seriously looking at a Mac when I purchase my next home computer. I never thought I would type that.

8. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

I was the same way a year ago when I was in the market for a new computer. A couple of trusted friends who work in the IT industry encouraged me to check out the Macs. I did, I was intrigued, did some research, took the plunge and I'm VERY happy I went Mac. I love it.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I nearly made it a rintone today.

10. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

BB, your admitted lack of expertise in computers might be another reason to go PC. I'm a Mac guy in part because I don't have the time and interest to invest in being a computer whiz. It's not my business -- I just need a computer to help me do what I do.

The PC programmer types like to dismiss Mac by calling it stuff like "my first computer," but I compare it to the electrical system in my house: I don't need to know all the details of how everything works, I just want to know the damn lights are going to come on when I flip the switch.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I switched to Avast when I had to reload my laptop from scratch last month. Avast is better than AVG at this point.

Draft saved Draft deleted