1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mac vs PC (or which computer should I get with tax refund?)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Brooklyn Bridge, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Here is my question. I have a PC which is about six years old and has been acting erratically. I have been thinking about upgrading, but recently thought about a Mac.

PC
    Pros-Price. I probably just need a processor and can get one for $300. But by the time you add in an OS and maybe a flat screen, that jumps up pretty quick.

Cons
    I have to install the OS and update virus protection every year.

Mac
    Pros--easy to use, faster than a PC and no worry about viruses.

Cons--Price. Base Imac goes for $1100.

That is my somewhat limited knowledge of computers. I'll let you sjers impart your wisdom. THX.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

You realize that you'd get a more civil discussion if you asked for advice on who to vote for in the last election, right?

What are you going to be doing with this computer? Just Web surfing and e-mail? Or do you need more than that?

I'm a complete Mac fanboy looser. But if all you're wanting is to hit SJ and check your fantasy leagues, then a cheapo PC is a fine choice. If you're going to use it for more than that, I think Mac might be better.

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

If you want to do any graphic design work, then you absolutely need a Mac. I have a PC at work with Adobe Creative Suite. Whenever I run any of the programs my Dell runs slower than a Commodore 64.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I'd go with a Mac just to avoid having to load drivers every time you plug in a USB ...

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'm the only one in the family left with a (job issued) PC now. My 16-year-old daughter's school issued her a Mac and my wife just picked up the Imac, which she seems to love already. My daughter sold her on it and she's the most tech-savvy person in the house.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Mac for me. My wife, who bought a PC laptop about a year ago, is already dropping hints that she wants a mac for Christmas.

7. spup1122

spup1122 New Member

My PC's screen went out, so Doc and I are sharing one PC laptop right now. I use a mac at work. Next week, I'm getting a Mac laptop to bring home every night for work. I can't tell you how hard it is to go back and forth. Do you use one or the other at work? Like I said, I find myself looking for the apple commands when I get home because I've been so used to using them all day. If you use a PC at work, I'd recommend getting a good PC at home. If you use a Mac, I'd say to get a Mac.

8. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I used to use a PC until midway through college. Needed a Mac for some different classes I was taking. I loved it after switching over: no problems freezing up or getting infected with something, easy to share programs with others, simple to use/get it to do what you want it to do. Some people cite the lack of a two-clicker mouse as a problem, but it can be easily remedied by popping in a USB mouse. Unless you're going to use the comp for the most basic of functions, I'd go Mac.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I have a bottom line HP PC, and it doesn't make me load drivers every time and does a lot of cool things the MACS do. Just with different program names. I'm happy with it.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Apple's current mice have built-in right-click support.

11. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

But the clicker on my laptop does not ;)

12. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted