1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mac replacement software for former PC users?

Discussion in 'Online Journalism' started by Turtle Wexler, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

A few folks at our shop have recently switched to Mac (OS 10.7.3) from PC.

I'm very happy about this, having used Macs all my life, but we're having trouble finding equivocal software. For example, several of our work-related websites are Internet Explorer only (don't get me started), but Microsoft stopped issuing IE for Mac in 2003.

Also, the TweetDeck client for Mac gets horrible reviews, but Twitter's own Mac client is lacking.

Has anyone found alternatives for those programs? Any other advice for PC-to-Mac transition? I'm sort of the de facto IT person for my part of the building, so heading off any anticipated problems would be a good thing.

Thanks in advance!

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Chrome or Firefox work OK for Mac. You might have to switch browsers for those quirky (and poorly coded) websites that only like IE. You can always try HootSuite.

3. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Try an older version of TweetDeck. We used it on the older Macs at the place I just left because it ran so much smoother than the new versions. Loved it. If it's not still available on the TweetDeck site, try browsing oldversion.com. Good resource I used to download from all of the time when I was a frequent AIM user.

4. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

This is part of the problem, though. We have two browser-based apps that only work in IE. Can't open them in Safari, Firefox or Chrome.

Are there any other alternative browsers or any tricks for making something appear outside of IE?

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Opera? It was able to identify itself as IE using Windows, but I haven't used Opera on a Mac.

6. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

Just wanted to circle back and say thanks for the Opera suggestion. Worked for those sites that couldn't be accessed with Firefox, Safari or Chrome.

Draft saved Draft deleted