1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mac buyer's remorse?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by FuerteJ, Feb 21, 2007.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

If you gave me a PC I'd leave it on the street for someone to take. My own money would never be spent on anything but a Mac.

2. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

Your post confused me. Maybe I'm baffled because you made incorrect assumptions about my use?

I was using Macs when I regularly used PageMaker for two years, then InDesign for a year. At times I had three monitors connected, never eight (not sure what you were trying to get at).

I also use my computer for photo processing and occasional video editing. The average Windows user thinks 2.5 GHz with stock amount of RAM is linearly quicker than a 1.2 GHz with 1.5 GB of RAM, but I hope you understand my Mac runs Photoshop a lot quicker than a PC could.

I've also dabbled in music production on my G4. The only advantage PCs even HAD in beat-making was being the only computers that could run Pro Tools, but that's out the window now.

That's just some of what I use it for.

But even if, as you presumed, I just used a computer to "write," Macs would be the better machine.

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Again, CR, you are going by the old addage that applied when Motorola was creating the processor. They handling the graphics bit first which is why Apple computers were wholy better than PCs at such production. This is where PCs established themselves as business units meant to crunch numbers (they handled the graphics bit last).

Now that Apple has switched over Intel, the playing field is equal. That is where I went with the Big Endian v. Little Endian point made several posts back. (As such, your comment on using a Mac to write being better than a PC is simply illogical.) It is linear these days. In fact the current PCs are faster based on the writing of software for the Apple.

Not enough new software has been developed for Apple's use of Intel. This means that all of Apple's Big Endian software needs to be converted over to Little Endian use. This conversion costs time. As such, it runs slower.

And while it is all fine and dandy that you make music and such, we're still not talking about high end use. We're talking about normal "play." Making music, making movies, etc, these things are all comparable on both units.

I only commented on the monitors because this would be one thing in which Apple computers cannot, to my knowledge, do. Sure, you can connect several. In the case where eight monitors may be necessary, Apple cannot do it.

The main presumption you make on this discussion is looking at it simply from the standpoint of what you know and experience. You cannot fathom that an Apple computer has limits. But you do not know of all applications necessary for all computer users. Some users, like myself, cannot use an Apple as their limits preclude them from being an option.

As to FuerteJ's remorse, it shouldn't exist. The product is fine. He'll grow to like it and enjoy using it.

4. CradleRobber

I don't have a MacBook. Therefore, I do have a Motorola processor, so what I'm saying applies to my computer and all Macs prior to the MacBook. Since many who have posted on this thread are talking about computers they've owned since before the new millennium, the playing field is not even close to level, "normal 'play'" or otherwise.

Macs definitely have limits, but far fewer than PCs. If you want to talk about the newest Macs, which is pretty much all you have referred to thus far, they can now run any Windows program. You can connect monitors.

You keep saying Macs have limits which preclude you from using them, but you're not talking specifics. No offense, and I respect some of what you have tried to explain, but it sounds like bullshit until you explain otherwise.

This thread was started by a new Mac user feeling like they overpaid for a machine/operating system with which they're not yet comfortable. Most PC users say they hate Macs because they are unfamiliar with them, and falsely claim Macs can't do the same things or at comparitive speeds as a cop-out.

Unless you've used both machines for some time, I don't think you can safely say. And I'm definitely not proficient enough with the Windows operating system to say one way or the other. I just know what I read and hear from PC users.

5. Hed bust

Hed bust Guest

I was at work and not using a laptop ... don't know where you got that.
    But here at home, I use my $2,900 Mac system and love it.
    iWork 06
    iTunes
    iWeb
    iDVD
    iPhoto
    AirPort Extreme wireless
    ... plus quick time and all the Microsoft word, excel, etc. compatibility in case someone sends me one of those kinds of files
    This thing runs circles around other computers I've owned or used through work

6. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

CR, you cannot run the same software on both PCs and Macs. This is simply a fact. This is my case. And, no I cannot go into specifics, you'll just have to trust me on this.

As to the previous generation chips... Yes it was a linear comparison in the artistic department. However, newer PCs have eclipsed that to this point. Motorola isn't coming out with a new chip anytime soon. (As an aside, the speed wasn't twice as fast. It was their handling of data bits which placed that about 25% faster in the handling of graphics, nothing more.)

Yes, there are many PC users that look at Macs and say "This isn't familiar to me. I don't like it." FuertaJ will break through this and become familiar with the Mac OS. He will grow to like and may even find it preferrable to Windows (very likely).

In the end, though, you cannot indiscriminately declare one better than the other. With the resulting use of Intel's chips, Apple's hardware no longer plays a factor. Their software is all that differentiates themselves from Windows and in that realm Windows has more options.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Man, just when I go and try to bring some civility to this thread (Mac users don't insult PC users and vice versa) that freakin' hoser messes things up! :D

8. CradleRobber

Honest to God, blue is sarcasm font, right? I hope you've been joking the whole time.

http://www.apple.com/getamac/windows.html

9. John

John Well-Known Member

Just don't blame me for the remorse. And you can have my Snickers, too.

Give it some time and I know you'll be happy. I pretty much went through the same thing you did, but I think it was mainly because as a single guy who rents a small apartment, I never spend more than $500 on anything.

Did you ever get the iPod/iTunes thing figured out?

10. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i'm as much of a mac guy as it gets, but i trust pastor on these things and agree with everything he has said

they're just different -- and for me macs are vastly superior and wouldn't want anything else

and my week-old black macbook is so choice

11. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

[​IMG]

(L-R) Bill Gates, Steve Jobs

Fuckin' duh.

12. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

As someone who has experienced the full ferocity of bullshit Mac crashes (The PC at least warns you. The Mac does whatever the fuck it wants to.), I cannot give any support to Apple.

Quark crashes in Mac happen on a daily basis at my joint.

I never have had font issues printing on a PC. A Mac? All the time.

Viruses? Horseshit. Macs get them. I had to deal with a particularly nasty Word based Mac virus when I was in college. It migrated to just about every machine in the office and since the Mac did not have adequate antivirus software it was a pain to get rid of.

Draft saved Draft deleted