1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mac buyer's remorse?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by FuerteJ, Feb 21, 2007.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Cradle, while I laud your devotion to Macs and those who use them, and while I laud the devotion of PC users to their machines, aren't both sides taking this a little too personally? It's a freaking computer. As long as it does what it's supposed to do and we can afford it, does it really matter what name is on the label?

And if Macs meet that requirement and PCs don't, then it's no skin on your nose if the reverse is true for someone else.

2. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

I'll rep you for real talk on that one, Alley. I just don't know a lot of PC users whose machines actually DO meet their needs, but I've never met someone whose loyalty to Apple products was rewarded by the same shortcomings. I feel bad for PC users who haven't experienced how wonderful computers can really be, but I'm not trying to take it personally. I just really want to hear the Junkman try to argue that PCs do the same things as Macs for less money.

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

There used to be a difference between the factor of big endian and little endian in the processing which provided Apple the advantages in the area of graphics. Since the switch to Intel, that is no more.

I will also note that since the software for Apple hasn't been adapted to the new OS, the same programs will currently run faster on a PC due to the CPU's data bit processing system. This includes all of those design programs.

They are the same machines. The only difference is the OS, which Apple's is more secure but lets you do less, and the look, which Apple's is more attractive if you compare it to pre-made boxes.

Junkie may be looking more to justifying his own personal expense on computers, but at this current point in time, the price difference between an Apple and PC is necessarily worth it.

Alley, this is a true statement. Many people don't care. In my experience, though, Apple users love their product with a near cult-like devotion. I can understand their love. But what they fail to understand at times is their operating system's own limits.

PC users and defenders hardly ever reach such devotion or defense of their system. It is certainly a credit to Apple's marketing.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I can't answer all your questions, Cradle, but I've had the same PC at home since 1999 and with the exception of virus vulnerabilities which Macs don't have, my computer hasn't given me a lick of problems. Now, my Internet connection? Totally different issue.

And I used Macs at work and liked them, but I learned computers by using a PC and Windows and I'm comfortable with them.

5. CradleRobber

That's the most concise version explaining the whole argument.

6. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

CR, I've written out your answer on the equality or lack there of between the two. It is what it is.

I'll only leave you with one thought: I cannot due what is most important on an Apple computer. Once Apple resolves this, I will revisit their quality level. Until then, you can continue to enjoy them for what you do.

7. CradleRobber

To each his own. As long as it works for what you want, I'm shocked glad.

Just curious, what is most important that you can't do on a Mac?

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It's simple.

Macs are cool, PC's are not.

Mac owners shop at Target. PC owners shop at Wal-Mart.

Macs are for artists, PCs are for accountants.

Those TV ads capture the perceived difference perfectly.

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

You are shocked glad because you write. You don't require a lot from a computer. There is nothing wrong with any of this, of course. But there are those out there that do different things. That need more.

And, as pointed out, at this current time, Apple's software runs slower. Yes, the exact same software since it hasn't been adapted to the new processor. This requires conversion and a new layer of processing.

The unit's capabilities are the same. The OSes are not.

Without stating too much (and not necessarily the most important thing)... have you ever connected eight monitors to a Mac? Can you even do it?

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I can't even find the dipstick on my dell. Help me, Junkie.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Fuerte,

Don't be embarrassed about spending money on quality -- unless it's for an ostentatious car or watch. Anything else and you're good. Look, you spent they money. Why be unhappy?

(hey, according to spellcheck, I spelled ostentatious right straight outta the box!)

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

There's a dipstick on your Dell now....

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted