1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mac buyer's remorse?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by FuerteJ, Feb 21, 2007.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

I saw him happily typing away on it the other day.

2. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

My old employer was a cheatskate. He only bought new systems for the graphic artists. Me and the other editorial dude had ancient Macs. I worked on the same machine for almost five years. I never had a single issue. It was uncanny. Now, I'll tell you, it didn't have any big software programs, and it had no internet connection. I strictly used it for writing. But it was phenomenally dependable. My co-worker's machine was traced to 1991. He's still using it. It's a little slow, as you might imagine. But it never crashes on him.

Personally, my iMac, which I bought four years ago, seems to have taken a hard crash today. I woke up to check my e-mail, and the thing just freaked out. I think the problem was that I ate up almost all of the hard drive space, which almost always causes Macs (and maybe PCs) to crash. I think everything is recoverable if I get a copy of Disk Warrior, but it was a disappointment. It was the first major issue that I'd had in four years.

I may need to reinstall the operating system. But guess what? I don't need to go hunting down the drivers for everything. That's because the OS will just recognize the stuff. If you've ever spent a million hour surfing the web for obscure drivers, you'll know how valuable this is.

I've had my laptop for almost a year now. I've never had a problem with this Power Book. I love Macs. I'd probably go down on Steve Jobs if he promised to upgrade my OS.

3. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

No homo?

4. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

It's magnificent. I really, really love it. It's just so easy to use. It starts quickly. It shuts down quickly. I can do 8 billion functions at once and it never slows down. if one program runs slowly or won't run for some reason, the whole computer doesn't act screwy.

Yeah, I like it. Buyer's remorse was uncalled for and too quick. Best purchase I've made in a while, well, other than the hooker. Kidding.

5. Jor El

Jor El Guest

I have a Dell desktop at the office, just installed in June. Works okay, but all I do is file stories and check e-mail.

I have a MacBook as my personal computer, and what I use on the road. The other option is the company-provided late-90s Sony or Dell notebook. The major issue with the MacBook is Internet access. There is no dial-up modem (it's a $50 USB device) and no mobile Intetnet card access. If I'm at a school or arena with no WiFi or LAN connection, I'm screwed.

6. I grew up in San Diego, used Macs in school from 1981 until I left in 87. Then my dad bought an Apple IIgs for home use. My dad bought me a Mac LC III in 1993 for college use. Then I bought a used Centris in 1996, a new G3/366 DT in 1998, a Lombard laptop in 1999, a Pismo laptop in 2001, a G4 iMac in 2002, a G4 Powerbook in 2004 and a MacBook in August.

Never used a Dell or IBM or Toshiba or Sony or eMachines. Just Apple.

Sounds like buyer error; you need a MacBook Pro.

7. Jor El

Jor El Guest

I opened my only credit card to buy it and the basic MacBook maxed it out. Wasn't even an option (well, it could have been if I had realized I could have got Apple credit instead of going to a CompUSA).

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

My god, I just read this whole thread. And I am numb.

Macs are great with art programs -- Quark, Photoshop, etc.

PCs, to me, are the way to go with word processing and Internet browsing.

They're different; both get the job done.

I'm sure not going to say one's clearly better than the other. I'll leave that to CR.

Now, if one more person tries to sell me on fucking Safari over IE, I'm going to throw down. But that's another story. ;)

9. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Actually, Firefox is better than both. :)

10. zizzer

zizzer Active Member

Then how can you give a fair comparison between the two platforms?
    A problem you don't run into when buying a PC....

Draft saved Draft deleted