1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mac Book and related questions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by heyabbott, Jul 13, 2009.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I'm geting off the Microsoft addiction.

I'm getting my daughter a laptop, the choices are the Macbook v. MacBook Pro. The 13 inch screen is light and small enough to take to class. Is there really a $200 difference between the 2, is it worth the $200.

iWorks v. Office? Office is at least twice as expensive as iWorks. Anyone have experience with iWorks? Is it compatable with Word & Powerpoint...?

Thanks.

I'm thinking about getting an iMac for myself. It's the same price as the 13" Powerbook Pro. Any thougts on the iMac?

2. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

office is twice as expensive because it's more than twice better than iworks. i have both and never use iworks. and while the macbook might be good enough for her, the extra $200 is worth it in the end. jmo.

3. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I've got a MacBook as well and love it. However, I use OpenOffice for all of my MS Works related documents (spreadsheets, resumes, etc.) I also run photoshop and final cut pretty much everyday with it and I've had no problems.

4. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I was surfing (okay, drooling) over Apple's Web site last night. After my iBook died, I've been trying to figure out what to get next, since I need an Apple for work because it'll get on the server and stuff. After doing a lot of poking around. I'm going to go with the MacBook Pro. A-It's more durably built and will probably last longer than the MacBook. I had the same white shell on my iBook and I know it got beat up a lot taking it to and from the library during four years of college. B-the MacBook Pro has more ports on the side of it, including a FireWire port. The MacBook doesn't have this. C-I've never used iWorks and cannot live without Office.

Also, if she's going to a large university, you might do some poking around. I know my campus had its own Apple store that provided LOTS of discounts on everything from hardware to software to cases. They also have educational discounts on the Apple Web site that you should check out. It'll definitely save you some coin.

5. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

My MacBook has a firewire port.

The new ones, however, don't right?

6. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

There are about a zillion threads about which Mac to buy, so search around. Also, compare prices online because the official Apple Store website costs more than some perfectly reputable catalogs, like MacMall.

I have never used iWorks, but I still suggest buying the student-teacher edition of Microsoft Office. I got mine with my iBook three years ago for $99, and you get three installs (so check with friends who recently upgraded to see if they'll let you borrow their copy.) I've been using it for years, and it's fully functional. It even updates itself automatically, same as regular Word does.

Draft saved Draft deleted