1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

M. Night Shamlamadingdong's not fooling anyone anymore

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Jun 12, 2008.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Signs was the worst piece of dreck from an ouevre plummeting into the misty pit of never-wasness. "OK, here's the pitch -- there's minimal action, a dark house and weak lighting. Then, there's NO action and even weaker lighting. But just before the reveal, we board up the windows and turn out the lights entirely! Whaddya think?!"

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Like Henry Ford, a guy who had one good idea.

Tick, tick, tick.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Awesome.

Signs was awful, yet after the wreck that was Unbreakable, I wasn't shocked.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Well, I was going to surprise you with a six-pack of Schlitz, some Quiet Riot and an M. Night variety pack. But forget it. I'll just drink alone.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

You can drop off the Quiet Riot.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

With pleasure. All that hair is weighing me down.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Wow, so bad there were no beasts or Drive-In Academy Award nominations.

8. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

I liked the movie. It was quiet, made me think and opened up a discussion about what we do to our planet and those people/things who/which inhabit it. Like the villainous air, the film floats by, yet holds an undeniable magnetism. The 90-minute run time allows for such a movie lacking in real meat, with wide-eyed performances from Mark Wahlberg and Zooey Deschanel adding some heft.

The Happening will be a movie I recommend to others, but cautiously; most won't like it. It had a definite tone and crispness, holding it throughout. Admirable, that quality, creating a film in your own desire and not bending to the wills of a studio or predicted moviegoer acceptance. That tack failed with Lady In The Water, but shines here.

9. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

Outstanding!

Here's the reason I dislike him so much--at the risk of sounding just as pretentious as M. Twi-Night Shamalammalaamarockandrollisking, his descent in quality is a cautionary tale for any of us who think that we don't need editors, or that we shouldn't care what our audience is thinking. Nobody could use an editor more than the Twi-Nighter.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Is anybody capable of distinguishing between their perception of the guy's personality and his work?
    He's not history's greatest director, but his body of work so far is not embarassing.
    'Sixth Sense' +
    'Unbreakable' +
    'Signs' +
    'The Village' -
    'Lady in the Water' -
    'The Happending' -

Without going into grades of A, B, F etc. or great, good, mediocre, bad, awful, the guy has had as many hits as misses.
    Most directors would gladly take a .500 average.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I don't know, Buck. Your posts are funnier than most, but I find you reprehensible as a human. Therefore, your posts must suffer.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Well, I am an insufferably arrogant, pompous prick, but I'm the funniest guy since Hitchcock.
    The secret spice is paprika!

Draft saved Draft deleted