1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LZ Granderson with a better take on "Keeping it real" mentality

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Dec 6, 2007.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Watch the HBO special on the Little Rock High School.

http://www.hbo.com/docs/programs/littlerockcentral/index.html

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Maybe we can let athletics show us the way.
    Hopkins announces he'll never lose to white people
    By Robert Morales, Staff Writer
    Article Launched: 12/07/2007 11:18:34 PM PST

LAS VEGAS - Longtime middleweight champion and current people's light heavyweight champion Bernard Hopkins and super middleweight champion Joe Calzaghe on Friday squared off in the media center inside the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Although nothing has been signed, it's expected that the two will fight each other next year.

The war of words started Friday, and Hopkins got down and dirty. He told Calzaghe, "I will never lose to a white person."

Calzaghe responded, "Well, you're going to lose to me." At that point, Hopkins had started to walk away, but then he turned around and said, "I would never be able to show my face in the projects again if I lost to a white person." Hopkins is from Philadelphia. Calzaghe is from Wales.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

poindexter,

I could walk up to 20 old-school baby boomers I know - white, blue-collar guys - and ask them for their favorite football and baseball players. Half of them would say Jim Brown and Willie Mays, with a few Bob Gibsons thrown in there for pitchers. Then they'll turn around and tell you that they're rooting for Ohio State in the BCS game because they have more "white boys." This is anecdotal, obviously, but, still: The America we live in is as fractured racially as it's ever been.

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Alma, I don't know where you live or who you hang out with, but that little anecdote bears no relationship to my recent experience whatsoever. And, btw, is there even any truth to this, does OSU have more white players? If so, I was not aware of it, and I didn't know anyone was out there counting.

I know a lot of people who base those decisons on conference or regional prejudices, a team's image, or because they have something against a certain coach, player, or fan base. But 've not noticed anyone suggesting that they preferred a team b/c of its racial composition in many many years.

In pro sports, I do recall as a kid in the 80s, some blue collar dudes who cheered for the Bird Celtics for that reason. But that was more than 20 years ago and I don't remember anyone around me doing it since.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I could easily see that. Easily. Odd - I don't know the answer to that.

Another anecdote: The LA Times had a story that David Beckham's signing created zero interest in Latino soccer fans in LA. Why? Quote after quote in the article spelled it out: He's not Mexican. (no jokes needed about how white people didn't care about Beckham either :) )

And tonight's Hatten-Mayweather fight hasn't generated a ton of interest because of their boxing technique.

Don't disagree for a second. Gains are made some places (Oprah, Obama) and losses in other places.

Draft saved Draft deleted