1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lynn Hoppes to ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Apr 3, 2009.

1. I read Lynn's blog entry and I think that's a fair explanation, particularly after going back to read his initial column in which he urged jobless writers to stick with this and not abandon their passion. I still think think that it can be dangerous to lay the ol' passive-aggressive guilt trip on guys trying to put food on their families' table, but no longer do I feel he's being inconsistent. Lynn values good journalism, not necessarily just that printed in a daily newspaper, and wanted to go somewhere he felt the resources to practice it were still dedicated.

Criticism revoked.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, I wonder how many ASEs are left to fight over this job. Seven? Eight? ;D

3. apseloser

apseloser Member

ESPN, which I thought had a hiring freeze, has the market cornered on bad sports editors. First, Starks from St. Louis. Now, the full-of-himself braggart Hoppes.

4. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Friend of mine jumped from an NFL beat to the four-letter last summer. Based on the way that paper (like so many others) has slashed and burned since then, I don't know if he'd still have a job there, much less the same one.

Maybe the events of the last few months have changed Hoppes' view of the future of the industry? They sure have mine.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

In Orlando or in the industry?

6. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Spoken like an apseloser. :D

7. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Hahaha. We don't call those "openings" anymore. We now call them "attrition," and they make corporate happy (well, as happy as corporate can be these days).

8. lohengrin

lohengrin Member

No matter what you've said in the past, if you are employed by or affiliated with certain companies (e.g., Tribune) you probably deserve a mulligan for a move such as this. Not every officer went down with the Titanic, either.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Congratulations to Lynn and good luck.

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

i do not blame lynn in the least.

but he surely is a hypocrite. no two ways about it. know how you avoid that? by keeping your effin' mouth shut. he didn't by speaking out urging loyalty to papers. he talked the talk but didn't walk the walk.

again, i don't blame him. just sayin' he's gotta man up and take the slings and arrows.

11. Pendleton

Pendleton Member

1. Does this make him Bill Simmons' boss? Have fun with that.

2. ESPN Page 2 is journalism?

12. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Found Jeff MacGregor's column on there Monday. Does he qualify?

Draft saved Draft deleted