1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lynn Hoppes: Keep your passion alive

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sunshine Scooter, Aug 2, 2008.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

This is a great idea, and we've done it. Any and all relevant information and help is welcome.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

come on guys. what's he supposed to do, call out every newspaper chain's owner?

3. The column is disturbing and out of touch.

He's telling sports editors, "Don't worry fellas, lay off who you need to. Don't get down. Look at Scott Carter, he was laid off but he understands the business. No hard feelings from him."

And then he says to show passion for "your industry." He's sure not talking to those who lost their jobs. It's no longer their industry, is it?

Just the entire feeling of the column is eerie and short-sighted (probably conceived and written in under an hour).

It's like reading a story about the homeless with the gist being that the bums aren't so bad off and we - those with homes - will be just fine as long as we work hard or stay faithful to God.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

what was he supposed to write, write?

5. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Something more useful, given the current business climate?

6. I don't care. This was stupid.

Excuse me if I'm more willing to empathize with the situations of those being laid off than that of Mr. Hoppes and his not wanting to piss anyone off.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Hoppes spent more time fussing with his hair yesterday than he did on that column.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yes, it could have been more useful. yes, he could have addressed some tough issues.

bottom line is he didn't. he won't be the first and he won't be the last. i just don't think we should take him to the woodshed because he played it safe.

9. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

He's the APSE president. If he won't take a stand and say something meaningful, who will?

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

should he have pointed out the obvious?

11. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Better than ignoring it.

12. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Lead, follow or get the hell outta the way (which in the case of Hoppes' column would have been to write about something else or not write at all.)

Draft saved Draft deleted