1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lynchburg (Va.) News & Advance sports editor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Steve Trosky, May 11, 2007.

1. Steve Trosky

Steve Trosky New Member

SPORTS EDITOR - The News & Advance, a 40,000-circulation daily in Central Virginia, is looking for a sports editor to lead its seven-person sports staff. This is a hands-on position that involves dealing with the public, managing the section and coaching the staff, as well as editing copy and pages. Prep sports (20 high schools) are our bread and butter, but we also cover three Division I colleges – two in the ACC - assorted smaller colleges and a minor league baseball team. We’re looking for a good writer, editor, and manager who has a sense of humor and strong planning skills, along with at least five years of daily newspaper experience. We also value multimedia skills. Lynchburg is located in Central Virginia, in the foothills of the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains. In addition to five colleges and a minor league baseball team, Lynchburg has a symphony orchestra, a fine arts center, a good public school system, a progressive downtown, lots of history, and plenty of golf, hiking, biking, and other outdoor activities. Our sports section was honored by APSE this year. The News & Advance (www.newsadvance.com) also received the sweepstakes award from the Virginia Press Association as the top mid-sized paper in the state for the second year in a row earlier this year. We’re a Media General newspaper with excellent benefits and chances for advancement. To apply, please send a letter, resume, and work samples to Joe Stinnett, managing editor, The News & Advance, Box 10129, Lynchburg, Va., 24502.

As the outgoing sports editor, if you have any questions, please ask. As I've said before, this is a great job. Joe is a great guy to work for.

2. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

So where ya going Steve?

3. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

Steve is headed to Richmond.

4. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

D_Bing with a purpose -- a novel concept.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/40377/

5. Steve Trosky

Steve Trosky New Member

As stated above, Richmond.

Also, I am willing to answer questions about this job. However, please do not send your resume to me in regards to this position. The managing editor did not post an e-mail address because he would prefer to receive hard copies. So, please, do not e-mail your resume.

I bring this up because I have already received a resume (and gave it to Joe).

Thanks.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

One writer on staff there has been known to throw cards at people, storm out of poker games after questionable beats and break golf clubs. What a douchebag.

7. Steve Trosky

Steve Trosky New Member

Yeah, but he does it with style. He also does "the worm" and sings/raps "Paul Revere" at parties. Good guy.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Three words:

Nathan Warters, bitches.

9. Steve Trosky

Steve Trosky New Member

I've never seen Nathan break a golf club or do the worm. Another good guy, though.

10. melock

melock Well-Known Member

What kind of experience are they looking for here? It says at least five years, but mentions nothing about management experience.

11. Steve Trosky

Steve Trosky New Member

In my case, I had six years management experience before taking this job and had been in the business 18 years (at that point). But I know he has hired previous sports editors with less management experience. I believe that Joe will consider anybody regardless of management experience if he thinks they are right for the job. My advice is submit your resume and find out.

12. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

How about a ballpark salary idea?

Draft saved Draft deleted