1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lying about scores

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CM Punk, Sep 20, 2008.

1. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

High horse? No.
    Sarcasm? Yes.

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I agree with the call to the AD and Angola's version of the correction.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

high horse, really? i don't get the comparison. it really doesn't work.

and ...

overly sensitive, much?

4. Cameron Frye

Cameron Frye Member

Well I think we learned in the Ike photo thread that editorhoo doesn't really deal in shades of gray; it's all black or white.

5. Well, Hitler started small. It started with, "Our baseball team only lost 2-1" when it was really 12-0.
    The next thing you know, millions of Jews dead.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

cameron, i don't think what he posted here was worth painting him with a wide brush.

7. Petrie

Petrie Guest

Um...just wow. Absolutely fantastic.

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I wonder how often this happens without anyone knowing it. I'm sure many of us remember the Boston City League hockey teams who were calling in fake scores to the Globe a decade ago and how nobody at the Globe knew about it until a photographer pointed out that the score he saw in the paper was different than the one he saw at the game he shot.
    I'm sure at large metros, where dozens or hundreds of scores are called in every day, at least a few of them could be false. At smaller papers, especially ones where box scores were taken, it's probably a lot less common.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Not funny, of course, but well played nonetheless.

10. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

If you really knew me, you'd understand how ridiculous that statement was. You can't honestly believe you can look at how a person (whom you don't even know) feels about one ONE issue and make that kind of generalized judgement? That's juvenile, and in fact, black-and-white thinking.

Just because I won't budge my professional ethics, doesn't mean I'm not open-minded. I'll bet anything I'm one of the most open-minded people you've never met. ;)

11. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

And for the record, IT WASN'T A COMPARISON. It was a joke.

But if you insist on calling it a comparison, I'll surrender, but offer this: sometimes it helps to use an extreme example if you want to make a point. Like the dude who ate at McDonald's for a month straight. Sure, it's not 100 percent accurate because nobody does that. But by going to an extreme, he proved McDonald's eaten in large quantities not only is bad for you, it can damage your liver for fuck's sake.

It's not that hard to understand.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

mrs. petty, is that you? :D

Draft saved Draft deleted