1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lying about scores

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CM Punk, Sep 20, 2008.

1. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

I found out today that a volleyball coach has lied about her team's scores when calling them in. This was pointed out by a parent who called to complain. We asked around, and we were told rather cryptically that future scores would be factual. In other words, this was intentional.

This is a bad team. Maybe one win so far, so the lying is about the scores, but not the end result. I understand why the coach would do it, but I don't care.

In five years, I've not had a situation like this come up. Obviously, we're running a correction.

Advice on any further action?

2. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

Had a soccer coach call in once with a 28-0 loss and asked if we could just print that it was 8-0. Uh no, had to explain to said coach that newspapers print facts, not propaganda. Propaganda is for Germany, circa 1939.

3. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

A call to said coach's AD would not be out of place. Think of it as insurance in case coach gets the urge to start fudging again. You might also consider calling the opposing coach -- time permitting, of course.

Whatever you do, don't burn the coach and blame them in the correction. Take responsibility for what you ran and make sure it's right next time.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Had one tonight where a coach didn't want to admit the exact amount of turnovers, kept saying it was 10 or 11 or 12. I went ahead and attributed that statement.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Why?

A coach lies, I'm definitely putting into the correction: "Because of incorrect information provided to the Podunk Press, the game scores for each of Podunk High's 17 volleyball matches were wrong."

I won't call the coach out by name, but it's implied.

The guy is lying to the newspaper. That's bullshit.

6. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I was referring to naming the coach -- publicly embarrassing them won't make them more cooperative in the future.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Good point.

I never understand specifically calling out a source in a correction.

Of course, I've also been at papers where they name the copy editor or reporter or whoever that made the error. I also think that is lame.

8. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

While I agree, that's just a terrible comparison.

Soccer scores and Nazis?

High horse, much?

Edited for misspelling.

9. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I would definitely call the AD, and I would make sure the principal knew.

Mt correction would definitely include the coach's name.

10. awriter

awriter Active Member

I wouldn't rule out ripping the coach in print if this continues after I've taken up the issue with the AD, principal and superintendent. You have a parent rightfully complaining. If the coach is (supposedly) an educator, then what kind of example is she setting for her players?

11. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

The guy is lying to the newspaper. That's bullshit.
    [/quote]

I was referring to naming the coach -- publicly embarrassing them won't make them more cooperative in the future.
    [/quote]
    That would seem like a good thing to me.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yup. I used to do the same thing for obits on newsside... Funeral home got it wrong, it was "Due to incorrect information provided to the Journal,...."

Draft saved Draft deleted