1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LVRJ sold?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 10, 2015.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The cynic in me says that the authors of that story, and the editors who authorized it, will be unemployed shortly.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's a pretty good test of the new owner's promise to remain hands off, isn't it?

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I really hope I'm wrong.

I'm going to assume it's a Guild newsroom. I'm also guessing the Adelsons are anti-union.

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

One of the keys to Adelsons success is that when he built his mega hotel in Vegas, the Sands, he kept successfully kept the unions out so he is anti-union.

The Giuld might be able to protect the reporters but I doubt if the editor in chief has union protection.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Outstanding corporate journalists up there in Connecticut ...

Reached at his Connecticut newspaper office Friday, Schroeder declined to say how the article came about or discuss Clarkin's role at the papers. "I'm not going to talk about our newsgathering," he said, later adding, "I don't talk about our reporters, either — or our freelancers or anyone else." Asked how a Review-Journal reporter might be able to reach Clarkin, Schroeder replied: "I have no idea."

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Does this mean Mickey Mouse or Ben Dover gets to submit the next article?

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

My money is on Heywood Jablome.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

These guys really want to be fired.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

They really want to tell the truth.

10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I'm not Adelson, but if I was, I would've no problem with that editorial. It was honest, fair and not inflammatory in any way. Even on things it disagreed with, like Adelson's feelings about the war on drugs, fully explained -- and showed sympathy with -- his rationale.

It didn't strike me as poking the bear in any way.

reformedhack likes this.
  11. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Thought it was a brilliant piece -- creating an easy yardstick for the public to measure the future against.

12. lostwages

lostwages New Member

Wrong on the first assumption, right on the second.

Draft saved Draft deleted