1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LVRJ getting new sports columnist

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mpcincal, May 21, 2006.

1. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Caught the last paragraph of Nick Canepa's Sunday column for the San Diego Union-Tribune:

<<I can't allow Ed Graney to walk away without a written goodbye. A member of the sports staff here for 20 years, Graney is leaving us to become a full-time columnist for the Las Vegas Review-Journal. Although he hates heat as much as I do – which means plenty – he wants to be a full-time columnist, which I believe is his calling. Blessed with a true sense of time and place, Edward is a character who will be missed at our place, in La Mesa, where he has done so much work with kids, and by anyone who enjoys good writing and reporting. He promises to be the greatest redhead to hit Vegas since Ann-Margret.>>

Had the pleasure to get to know Ed while in college and while working with him at the U-T more than a decade ago. Super person, always helpful and I've always admired his writing. I think he can do really well with this.

The RJ has definitely taken some shots on this board, but I think this hire is a step in the right direction.

2. accguy

accguy Member

Ed is a really good guy and I think he'll do a good job in Vegas.

3. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Can't say that I know him, but I've enjoyed reading his work. Good fortune to him. In Las Vegas, that's really important...

4. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Does blondebomber approve?

5. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

I hope blondebomber still has a job....that was a thread that was really fun and entertaining, but it quickly turned grisly (kind of like the New Year's Eve party I went to this year)

6. ShelbyFoote

ShelbyFoote Member

Congrats to Ed. He's a good reporter/writer and is a class act.

7. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Man, I've always had a good sense of time, but I never really was able to nail down place. No wonder I never became a columnist. I never knew where the hell I was.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I knew him when he was that young guy just out of college. Very nice guy, very talented. Best of luck to him.

9. Gold

Gold Active Member

I met Ed once, he gave me his phone number, and like an idiot, I never called him.

From the one meeting, you could tell he really knew his stuff and was a real good guy. Good Luck to a Good Guy

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

This hire begs the question of Joe Hawk's status? . ..

11. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

If my information is correct, Joe Hawk is now sports editor and will trim his column output to one or two a week.

12. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

It is correct.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/22174/

Draft saved Draft deleted