1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lute Olson quitting Arizona -- for the second and final time

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PopeDirkBenedict, Oct 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Kevin O'Neill needs to be a head coach again so we can see a return of his in-game and press conference tirades.

2. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I have actually heard quite the opposite from some folks. I know two writers who have been around the college game for a long time who have said that Olson is a major league asshole.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Chef, it happened only once with the last one. Lute's first wife, Bobbi, died from cancer a few years back.

Lute and Kevin O'Neill are pretty much opposite personalities, at least when it comes to outside appearances and dealing with the media. That probably didn't help O'Neill and had to contribute to why Lute booted him out of there when all thought he was back to assume the throne again in Tucson.

I hope this isn't a health-related resignation. But if not, he's leaving U of A pretty high and dry given the time of the season.

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Agreed. His Metro State teams were a treat to watch.

I hope he gets the gig and things work out well for him.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Why?

His Arizona teams are loaded every year. Carolina and Duke loaded if you look at the rosters over the past 20 years.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The 1997 run Arizona made was one of the best tournament runs ever. Zona either beat all four No. 1 seeds or at least three.

The all Wildcat final cost me a lot of money in the tournament pool when Zona won. ;D

7. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Can't beat all four since two of them are on the other side of the bracket, from which you can only face one.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And he's the only living coach to have guided Iowa to a Big 10 hoops title, they shared it but it's still the only one they've won. And that was, what, 31, 32 years ago?

You have to wonder if, in some way, he never got over the death of his wife. This erratic streak pretty much started after she died.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That makes sense... I guess it was three No. 1s then. Either way, it's an amazing accomplishment.

10. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

He was no saint, but I'm sure the folks in Tempe would love to have a Lute Olson clone. They've been face up in his ass cheeks after a bowl of chili for years.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I think they were ranked #1 at various times during the season.

12. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Could have been early in the season, but since they finished fifth in the Pac-10, the run was still damn improbable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.