1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lute Olson quitting Arizona -- for the second and final time

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PopeDirkBenedict, Oct 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Nothing but praise for Olson's program.
    It's hard for the old-guard to step away - step aside.
    They've done so much. Been so involved.
    The university and fans should disregard opinionated (even worse - faceless on the 'Net) sportswriters' jocularity
    All eras must end and here's one that's will be remembered as having few around it that were more productive.
    Congrats to Olson.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And people in Iowa City are wondering what might have been if they hadn't run him off 25 years ago.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Busted with a Natty Light at a Mizzou frat party.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

That would be Iowa State.

5. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

That's very sweet until you consider that Olson slit the throats of everybody around him long ago. He walks out alone.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

He built a powerhouse, where others might have failed.

That by no means diminishes the essential truth advanced by LB.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

So, someone who knows: What's the deal with Olson and O'Neill? What the hell happened?

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

I still can't believe he won it all in 1997.

9. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Not sure exactly, but I did hear one of the talking heads saying there was a good chance O'Neill comes back. He's an NBA assistant, and it's not like he'd be derailing a college program.
    At the same time, given his ouster when Olsen returned, I don't think he comes cheap.

10. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Neither can Jim Rosborough, who was Lute's assistant for as long as Lute has been a coach. Pushed Jim out of the way to get O'Neill. Something doesn't feel right about what has taken place with Lute with respects to the program over the last two years. With that said, if he is dealing with a health issue, I will respect his decision to step down, though it is an inconvience to the players and the staff.

Lute will always be known as the guy who took Iowa to the Final Four since Bucky O'Connor's crew did it in the mid-50's. Kenny Arnold, Steve K., Dick Peth (currently my college alma mater's coach), Ronnie Lester, Steve Waite, and of course, Bobby Hansen, always rocked the old Iowa Fieldhouse to a packed crowd.

11. Have the beatings begun?

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

For all the great things that Olson did for UA - the way he is leaving is pretty sad. It won't destroy the program by any means, but if his sabbatical last year didn't put a dent into recruiting, I imagine this will.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.