1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Luppy's Latest Roman a Clef

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Oct 24, 2006.

1. He's a complicated man,
    and no one understand him but his woman...

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Iteresting observation by Luppy today in Shooting From the Lip. Even more interesting since Luppy was signing his book from 2- 4 and missed the begining of game. Maybe he tivo'ed it.

Ohio State vs. Michigan yesterday, 42-39, for the Buckeyes, is the best regular-season game between No. 1 and No. 2 since Nebraska-Oklahoma in 1971.
    It was that kind of game yesterday in Columbus.

Think about it: We got Texas vs. USC to end last season, and we get a game like this 10 months later.

Once again, we get the very best of the place Dan Jenkins always called Saturday's America.

And the best team won.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Boom, your singled-minded hard-on for certain high-profile writers is one of the more amusing things about SportsJournalists.com. Who's one and who's two, between Lupica and Peter King?

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Hey I just call em as I see em. Both of these guys just make it too easy.

I mean really how silly is it that Luppy was writing about a game that he missed the first half hour of. Luppy was also on the sports reporters talking about the game - that he missed some of.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

To me there is no comparison. I know what Lupica once was, and what he's become doesn't do justice to his talent. He does mail it in too often. That said, I do respect the fact that he earned where he's at, and even if I don't go searching out his stuff anymore, I don't begrudge him his success. It wasn't handed to him.

King is different. He is a gifted magazine writer who hits in SI way more than he misses. He has a Rolodex that should be the envy of any National NFL writer and he actually knows a the game a lot better than many hacks who get into high-profile jobs without the chops. MMQB is funny and unfortunate sometinmes, and it certainly shows that he has an ego, but it doesn't detract from what is his main gig--reporting and writing magazine stories. And he does that very well.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

This is funny. Especially Obo - because it's misspelled, and Lupica might figure that throw readers off the scent.

Draft saved Draft deleted