1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lupica on Page Six

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, May 1, 2008.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

If Lupica were 6-foot-8, would the Post have said "whose physical stature is as large as his ego . . ." ?

Of course not.

Why not? It's every bit as relevant the other way. Which is to say not relevant at all.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

If the guy was as reviled as The Lip, I think they would have used that description for the 6-foot-8 columnist.... just as a means of identifying him to the most readers.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'm assuming they would have called him a "lurch." It isn't about his size, it's about him.

I do agree it is petty and not particularly Page 6 juicy, though.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's the tamest rider I've ever heard of...

Yes, Lupica is a douche, but not because he wanted a parking place, a glass of water and a specific table...

When he demands a brand of bottled water that has to be brought in from another state, let me know...

5. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

That wouldn't have been news, though.
    Everybody has known he's a prima donna for two decades.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

It didn't specify the couch rider? Not newsworthy then.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It's all in the wording, which of course Page Six has made an artform. They weren't requests, they were "demands", and "specific" needs are "persnickety."

Lupica fully earns a lot of his scorn, but not so much here.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I brought Robert Smith into my library (in his hometown) after he had retired and written a book. We held a parking spot for his giant Hummer, and I got him a cup of coffee and a glass of water. Then he talked to a packed room of 250+ people and signed autographs and sold books for two hours. Everyone was pleased. And I was happy to accommodate him.

The next day he even went to the HS football game and stood on the sidelines and rooted for his old school because some kid at the even asked him to.

Hopefully Lupica was half as gracious to his audience after his "demands" were met.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

If ANYONE here has ever been to a Loopy signing, please speak up.

10. Wait a minute.
    Can anyone here speculate as to why the table couldn't be round?
    If it's not "because I said so, that's why," then what's the reason?

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I'm guessing a round table is harder to lean on for a few hours for a signing.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Probably because it could provoke "reaching" problems . . . for anyone . . . let alone Mikey . . . unless he wants to play "kneesies" with bookbearing petitioners.

Draft saved Draft deleted