1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lupica is laid off

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Sep 16, 2015.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I don't think Esquire has a lot of black or Hispanic males subscribers. White males voted almost two to one for Romney in the last election so if you limit your audience to the Democrats in that demographic you are really cutting off a lot of potential readers.

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Think that's more of GQ 's readers, although they really don't have that much political content.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

You obviously don't read the monthly letter from GQ's editor, Mr. Skinny Tie. This month's was all political, but usually he manages to get in a dig at the right apropos of nothing. I'd bet we vote the same way, but the bitchy way he does it annoys me.

Dyno likes this.
  4. Frank_Ridgeway

It wouldn't be right of me to give the actual numbers on the website traffic, but I don't think that's the case about features. I was a desk guy there, but I wrote a travel story about a midsize American city a good distance from NYC and it got more than 5,000 Facebook shares -- 4,000 on the first day. I am still flabbergasted. A fucking travel story! The main Facebook page has more than 1 million likes. The web traffic is extremely national and swings wildly. I don't think I'd be pissing off anyone there if I said uniques increased 50 percent the day the website and paper ran exclusive photos of Jenner in a dress. It's really funny that they required us to tweet one DN story per working day and share one DN story per week on Facebook, but I went well beyond that by Buffering them. I picked stories that would amuse my mostly intelligent friends, and sometimes the next day I'd see the same stories did very well and sometimes they didn't. I still think people who say they have this all figured out are completely full of shit.

BTW, no offense to the slew of sports talent let go -- I worked with those people when I worked in sports there in the mid-1990s. But while the section is obviously weaker without them, it is still a very good sports section that I enjoy reading every day via home delivery.

5. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

I definitely had GQ in mind. That said, I would still think Esquire's demo leans heavily left, given their content. It isn't a magazine for the Brooks Brothers set. The conservatives are reading Fortune and Forbes.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I'm almost certain it does.

7. Frank_Ridgeway

I subscribe to both mags, but I don't take the fashion stuff seriously. There was an ad in one of them in the October issue and I said to my wife, "No one with testicles would wear that fucking shirt."

SpeedTchr likes this.
  8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Haven't read it in a few months, but despite that letter I would still think there's usually a lot more political content in Esquire. I think of GQ as more of a man's Vogue.

Draft saved Draft deleted