1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Luke Russert Sighting

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Nov 7, 2009.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Can't remember the last time I saw him on the air.

MSNBC has him reporting today from Capitol Hill. He's not looking good. Nervous & not credible.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Good for him to get a job because his dad died.

3. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

I can tell already this is going to be an incredibly mean-spirited thread. Go ahead guys, unleash the hounds.

But what's the point? The kid may have a job under questionable pretenses. But is that really his fault?

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Really an extension of the network other than Morning Joe.

5. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

I agree, Harry. If ever there was time for a Heathers-jack, this is it.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Transfer to CNN. Transfer to Fox. Nobody at MSNBC is gonna play your reindeer games!

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I was a fan of his father and I don't begrudge the fact that he's gotten his foot in the door based on who his dad was.

The problem is that he's not very good.

Sulzberger made his kid learn the ropes in Providence & Portland before letting him write for the Times.

Put Luke at an owned & operated for a few years until he learns his craft.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

You're beautiful.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

If the kid has some kind of personal issues, and needs some measure of professional help, feel badly for him.

But if all this is derived from any so-called angst deriving from the simple fact that he's Luke Russert, and we're somehow supposed to feel sorry for him because of that, and we're supposed to strew rose petals in his path because of that . . . that's another story, because he's not performing at anything resembling a professional level, and given that, he shouldn't be left to do what he's doing right now.

Need. To. Know. More.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

How many people are good at that age?

Yes, this is nepotism run crazy, but this business is one that has always worked that way... In a lot of cases (Sally Jenkins, Jeremy Schaap, Chris Wallace, Joe Buck) the results are pretty good.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Reporting in DC is all about relationships, not journalism. Russert's dad went from working for Moynihan to VP of NBC News in DC, running the bureau. Just because he's not on the air doesn't mean he's not working, there are a lot of off-air people who do 90 percent of the stuff you see on screen.
    Luke won't be the first to get in the door based on his last name - won't be the last.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I've listened to that Sports program that Russert does with Carville on XM . He does a very good job.

Draft saved Draft deleted