1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Luggage-buying tips

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by luckyducky, Nov 12, 2008.

1. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I've always been a checked-luggage guy, but now that EVERY airline has a baggage fee (thanks for making it unanimous, Delta!) I'm going to buy carry-ons for me and my wife. I was looking at the wheeled ones at the Rick Steves travel site . . . has anyone had any experience with those?

2. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Couldn't disagree more. If you're traveling a lot, hauling any bag through airports sucks and having to either carry a bag or kick it across the floor when you're stuck in a long line is no better.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Amen. Besides, the weight limit is 50 pounds, I believe...maybe 60. I'm not carrying a 50-pound bag through the airport. The wheels weigh as much as like a hair iron.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Hence, the IF YOU CAN HANDLE IT part, Dyno and IJAG. It's fully understood that some cannot. And no doubt it can be a polarizing point.

I'm not exactly ready to replace an offensive lineman anytime soon. And I can handle a couple of these bags without too much strain.

5. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.
    If you buy a cheap luggage set for $150 and they all fall apart after one trip, you deserve it. You're better off buying a $150 bag that will last forever.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Most women can't carry 50 pounds any great distance without a lot of exertion. Not having wheels for me would require me having to get somebody else to carry my bag up to the counter, instead of just being able to drop me off.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

While this should go without saying, it bears repeating. Hence ...

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

AirTran and Southwest, no fees. At least for the first bag.

Anyone get one of the new carryons that allow you to put it through the checkpoint without taking a laptop out? I'm strongly considering one of those and I almost wouldn't care how it looks.

9. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

I could do it, but the issue is that I don't want to ... at least twice a year, I'm on the road for more or less an entire month, often flying between cites after less than a week and typically by myself. With that in mind, it's just easier for me to have a wheeled suitcase.

SnoopyBoy, YOU DIDN'T HAVE TO YELL.
    If you're so sold on this being good advice, can you at least recommend a couple "pricier" brands that I could check out? Also, not everyone can afford crazy expensive luggage ... although I bet it could count as a "business expense" on my taxes...

10. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Until today. AirTran just announced a bag fee ($15) ... and folks expect some of the other discount carriers to follow (if Southwest does, I'll cry).

http://rickseaney.com/2008/11/12/airtran-adds-first-checked-bag-fee-just-like-all-the-legacy-carriers/

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Love Briggs and Riley. Not the cheapest, but very sturdy, and lots of cool colors with great compartments. Look at Irvs.com or irv.com, can't remember, but they have everything.

12. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Ducky --

Get yourself a Samsonite 22" Sideroller. You may find it under the model name 'Silhouette' these days. Meets airline overhead dimensions, and the extra little wheels allow you to turn it on one side to roll it down the aisle of the plane. About $125.

I've traveled with one now for years and they're bulletproof.

Then get a Crumpler laptop bag to ride on top of it. Best work bags going.

Have logged many, many thousands of miles with this combination and found them both to be rugged, practical and very moneywise.

Draft saved Draft deleted