1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Lucky' woman who won lottery four times

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Aug 8, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Paging doctorquant:

If she just figure out the schedule for when a winner would be delivered, that's freaking genius.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Maybe I should become Facebook friends with her ...

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

There was a thread a while back on here with a link to a Wired magazine story about a geological statistician who cracked the algorithm used to create certain lottery tickets (in Canada) and could pick winners at a high frequency just by looking at the tickets and working his way backward from what was showing (they are a type of ticket called a baited hook ticket).

Those tickets aren't truly random, because they need to guarantee a rate of return. When something isn't random, the algorithm used to create the returns they want can be reverse engineered.

This woman in Texas was mentioned in the Wired story. She probably cracked their code on a "baited hook" ticket (what she had won with three times), which apparently has a flaw in it that makes it easy for someone with the right knowledge to reverse engineer the tickets by looking at them, and working backward.

Here was the original thread: http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/2983039/

Here is a link to the Wired story: http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/01/ff_lottery/all/1

4. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

Maybe she needed to win the lottery four times to pay off the student loans it would take to get a PhD from Stanford.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm not as amazed at multiple lottery winners as I am amazed that you could win $5.4 million and <i>keep playing the lottery</i>. If I won that kind of money I'd hit the high-roller room at Bellagio once or thrice, but I sure as hell wouldn't be scratching off cardboard or filling in bubbles on the lotto sheets anymore.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

If you figured out the system and bought the right tickets, does that make you a cheater?

7. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

Did you even read the article? You wouldn't keep playing the lottery if you knew how to beat the system, but you'd go hit up the tables?

8. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Finding ways to play within the rules and still win is not cheating. in sports, the rules are changed when flaws that existed were exploited to make the playing field uneven. This woman tilted the playing field but did so legally.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

OK, I just read the articles. Impressive.

But yeah, at some point after winning maybe $20 million, I'd like to think I'd stop scratching tickets.

10. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

If the banks can do it, so can you. Go get yours.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Huh. I missed that thread.

Here's the excerpt on this woman:

I don't think I've ever played one of these things.

Is a card only a winner if you scratch it the right way? And, do you get to look over a card before you decide to buy it?

It sounds like in the Ontario case, they figured out a code. In Texas, she just figure out the frequency and delivery schedule of winners.

I'm wondering how many tickets the woman in Texas would buy. Did she buy out every ticket delivered that day to make sure she bought the winner?

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

No questions that scratch offs can be schemed, but I'd think it's more likely that some woman would marry four lottery winners.

Draft saved Draft deleted