1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Luckiest Man On the Face of the Earth

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jul 4, 2008.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Years, ago , I remember reading that a Ty Cobb postgame radio interview from the late '40s had appeared in an attic, along with the final inning of a NY Giants game. So there's hope.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Mmmmmm, Teresa Wright!

(Disclaimer: My wife prefers that I lust after women from previous generations, and I was struck at an early age by how lovely the movie Mrs. Gehrig was. What kid ... boy ... young hetero male could watch Pride of the Yankees and not want to grow up to laugh and romp with her.)

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yep. Just like Joe Jackson's Grand Jury testimony ("discovered" in 1988), Hack Wilson's lost RBI and many others ...

4. YankeessSuck

YankeessSuck Member

In college, I took a speech class and one of the assignments was to research a significant speech and give it and then talk about it. I chose Gehrig's speech. I get a lump in my throat when I hear him give that speech.

And yes I realize the irony of the fact my handle is YankeessSuck and I'm saying something positive about a former Yankee. But hey, it's Lou Gehrig for Christ's sake. He's like an American hero and one of my top five all-time favorite players.

5. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Your handle is misspelled.

6. YankeessSuck

YankeessSuck Member

It wouldn't accept YankeesSuck so I had to make due

7. Lou Merloni - the Luckiest Man in Massachusetts

http://large-regular.blogspot.com/2008/07/lou-merloni-luckiest-man-in.html

8. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Joe Williams, about 15 years ago, the NY chapter of the BBWAA invited Teresa Wright to our awards dinner and she came and was an extremely nice person to deal with. Just thought you'd like to know.

9. Gold

Gold Active Member

There was a tape of a 1962 no-hitter by Sandy Koufax against the Mets which was discovered in an attic. The tape of Babe Ruth's home run in 1932 was also discovered. On You Tube, I saw a home movie of a 1929 World Series. There were people who had home movie cameras in the 1930s, but they would not have had sound.

I don't think it was planned that Gehrig would give a speech, so there wouldn't have been sound recorders. Certainly they didn't expect what would be a famous speech. On July 4, 1939, some people might have even thought Gehrig might recover and didn't think he was a couple years away from disintegration and death.

Draft saved Draft deleted