1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Luckiest Man On the Face of the Earth

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jul 4, 2008.

1. It was on this day in 1939 that Lou Gehrig described himself as the luckiest man on the face of the earth:

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

There aren't many speeches given by athletes that are better. Maybe not any.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I'm not sure I'd ever read the entire thing. That was very interesting. Thanks.

4. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

One of the greatest speeches ever. Athlete or otherwise.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Love that you posted the entire speech, Chris. Few know that the "face of the earth" line was in the second sentence. The real speech is so much more compelling than Gary Cooper's.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Liked Cooper's version. Love Lou's version.

I remember reading in a book on the '39 Yanks that although Ruth was hugging Gehrig after his speech, Gehrig didn't really hug Ruth back.

Apparently, Gehrig never really forgave Ruth for an incident that took place on their trip by ship to Japan in 1934. Gehrig's wife, Eleanor, apparently, spent an afternoon in Ruth's cabin, getting drunk, and doing God knows what else. It was part of the feud between the two, and Lou apparently still had a grudge against the Babe.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Loved the sound of Gehrig's speech... Oyth, not earth, like he's Carl Oyskin...

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

She wasn't warm and cuddly, apple pie wife, like Teresa Wright?

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I love the line about the mother-in-law.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The real Eleanor even admitted she was somewhat of a flapper in the late '20s.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Luckiest Man is a great book.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Absolutely. Eig is a great writer.

I consider that one to be even better than his Jackie Robinson book.

Draft saved Draft deleted