1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lubbock (TX) Avalanche Journal SE - OPEN AGAIN?

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Angola!, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Grimace

Grimace Guest

Re: Lubbock (TX) Avalanche Journal SE

Gots to disagree American Girl. Meeting with our middle of nowhere schools was one of the few times we actually saw them face to face. Probably the only time. Paid off big time during the year in terms of building communication, especially when they were in the playoffs 100 miles away calling in stats.

Also, is there a Buddy Holly museum in Lubbock?

2. jps

jps Active Member

Indeed there is, located, I believe, on Buddy Holly Drive. Big statue, too, I think. Though never have elected to visit said museum.

3. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

And, when you see them face to face, they generally give you better information. Better quotes and give you their complete attention. They go a little more out of their way to work with you.

Call a coach. He often has 100 different things he's thinking about when you talk to him. He's going to be short. Dull repsonses. No coach, heck no one, really likes to be tied down on the phone.

Hate us if you want but Texans don't half-ass their jobs...especially not with Texas HS football.

4. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

My dad, who was a truck driver for about nine months, once stopped in Lubbock and saw the Buddy Holly museum. He was so thrilled that he called me. Then again, he's 65.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Hate if you want.
    But that lack of days off during the high school football season, combined with the paper paying, means a night in Alpine is pretty fucking nice. Especially when you live in West Texas and the closest thing to a mountain is the elevated greens at Ward County Golf Course.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yup, no half-assing here. travel budgets cut to shit; can't cover games. but there sure is time and money for the tab.

sorry, but i don't get the logic.

7. jps

jps Active Member

In most shops out this way the preseason football tab is the biggest money maker of the year -- so to put in a little extra money and make it better, the math pays off.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

oh, i have an idea how all y'all do things in texas. i'm saying taking away from the daily product for a fucking tab is reason no. 412 why this industry is going into the shitter.

9. jps

jps Active Member

Only I don't think there is a taking away in order to add more to the tab -- I think it is just that, while money may be vanishing from other areas, it hasn't left the tab. There isn't anything added there, but there hasn't been anything lost.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

'gola's been bitching about a shrinking travel budget for eight months now.

11. jboy

jboy Guest

HS football in Texas? Yeah it's worth it. If one hotel and $.22/mile breaks your budget, you have a lot bigger problems.

12. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Well, that sucks for you then huh?
    I know budgets have been slashed in places, but our travel budget has never been slashed. Even though our owner hates sports and is a tightwad, they understand the importance of high school football and other sports in texas.
    I'm not saying our paper is the model to go by, but we aren't cutting jobs. We aren't cutting hours or coverage and except for 2002, have grown in subscriptions every year since I've been here.

Working on the tab hardly takes away from the daily product, since most of the work on it is done in August, when, by then, the Rangers have been in last place for five months, the Astros are just starting their yearly "okay maybe we should play good baseball now" and there aint jack to do around the office or anything to cover. This year the Olympics will make that a bit more interesting, only for the fact we have two area athletes involved. But yawn.

And like JPS said, the tab is a hell of a money maker. Every year they have to expand this thing because advertisers want the space. The HS football tab in Texas is hardly a reason the industry is going to the crapper, and most Texas papers understand this.

Draft saved Draft deleted