1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lubbock (TX) Avalanche Journal SE - OPEN AGAIN?

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Angola!, Mar 7, 2008.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Re: Lubbock (TX) Avalanche Journal SE

Welcome to the board, Thirsty. Any guy who avoids the frat/sorority meat markets and chooses "action" places as his watering holes is ok with me.

2. Re: Lubbock (TX) Avalanche Journal SE

Thanks. Just trying to get this thread some traction. This is a good opportunity for folks who can stomach the isolation, conservatism and quirkiness of Lubbock.

One plus is the position's visibility due to the presence of a Big 12 institution and with (cue Dickie V voice) Robert Montgomery Knight lurking about.

Quite a few other former A-J sports staffers besides Pat have made the leap to bigger papers (albeit some in a roundabout way).

As far as the action places in Lubbock, a former boss used to call my noctural trolling - "guttering." True, some of these places can be a little dicey.

At one bar I was at, some dude got stabbed in a bathroom, police came and marked off a crime scene, and we all kept boozing.

At the same place months later, I met a woman and the first thing she said when she got in my car was "I haven't taken my medication. I don't know what I'm going to do." This after she briefly choked some dude (probably her boyfriend) and got in a big brawl in the ladies' bathroom. I ditched her at a fast-food joint after the dude she choked arrived to see her.

On the other hand, bars with a predominantly Hispanic clientele often get a bad rap among many of the populace in Lubbock. However, most all of them were pretty chill with a neighborhood bar feel to them.

3. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

I'm about 99 percent sure Patrick was not covering the Lady Raiders at least this past season, maybe not last year either.

As for bars in Lubbock, steer clear of the Depot. Stay closer to Crickets, Bash's, etc. Although I've heard the crowds at both might've changed a little since I was in school.

I love the town, but I suppose it's an acquired taste. I don't know, but I wouldn't think Jeff would be too interested in being the SE long-term, but I could be wrong. It happens from time to time.

4. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

I love myself some sorority girls. Do your job and the frat boys will soon find out its not a good thing to screw with the guy who gets your name in the paper. I believe he said it in the wire this season.

"Don't pick a fight with someone that buys ink by the barrel"

5. writing irish

Well, that's professional.

6. Re: Lubbock (TX) Avalanche Journal SE

Ahh, never really had problems with the frat dudes. Ignored them. Plus, if I picked a fight, I'd get my name in the paper for all the wrong reasons - that thing about being "part of the story." It would reflect poorly on my employer. I liked to keep my vile and repugnant activities under wraps.

What's up with the Depot, mltru2tx? Been gone from the 806 more than a year. I thought they had some highbrow steakhouses, wine bars and restaurants in the Depot. I did have some fun times at the South Beach club.

There are also some bars in Southwest Lubbock around the mall and in far west Lubbock that may cater more to "professionals."

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

The football tab was as good as ever this last year. It didn't look scaled down to me at all.
    They cover so many high schools, I'm not quite sure how they do it, but they do a damn good job at it.

8. Re: Lubbock (TX) Avalanche Journal SE

I guess the A-J can't slight those readers in Jal, N.M. :)

Back in the day, it was my pleasure to accompany a staffer and a photographer on one of the A-J's infamous pre-tab football tours.

Memory No. 1 - The exasperated shutterbug, trying in vain to line up some players in Seagraves for photos, wryly said "It's tours like these that make me question the future of civilization."

Memory No. 2 - A coach in Plains asking if I had any eligibility left.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i find it humorous that all y'all in texas feel the need to make "tab tours" instead of calling the coach from shitville instead.

10. writing irish

When I covered high school football in Texas, I really felt like I was contributing to the slide of civilization into deeper idiocy. All those gravy-slurping, man-titted bumblecretins with Calvin-praying and "W" stickers on their SUVs who lived vicariously through a bunch of semi-literate adolescents struck me as a sector of society that didn't need to be encouraged in their bad habits.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

1. It's good for building contacts with the coaches for later in the season.

2. The company pays you to be gone for a week, driving around, drinking beer on their tab and getting a free one-night stay in Alpine.

12. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

Well, hot damn! Ah never thought ah could spen a nite tharbouts!

Draft saved Draft deleted